Getting started... eventually.

More
6 years 5 months ago #517434 by Ben_Haze
Hello.
I never know how to start these things, so, here goes.
My wife and I are moving out of Auckland soon as I am fingers crossed starting a new job in the BOP. we are both really keen to get some of our own land to have as we don't really like shopping in the supermarket, and want to have a "cleaner" life. we have a 1 year old daughter, and a dog that thinks that she is our second fur daughter.
The current debate between my wife and I is on the size of land that we want, I would love to learn how to run some cattle eventually, and my wife is just wanting enough to have 1 or 2 and a big veggie patch and orchid.
Hope everyone is going well and enjoyed the rain over New years. it looked like it was much needed in some parts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #517440 by rider1803
Hey and welcome, fingers crossed on the job.
In regards to the land area that is a loaded question, my advice would be to start smaller, i.e up to 5 acres as this is a lot when you don't have a lots of experience, this will allow you to run a couple of beefies, have an orchard, vege patch etc. without the stress of a larger block.
I guess the answer also depends on how much time you want to devote to you block - the don't nick name them life-sentence blocks for nothing!

We have 5 acres that was very run down, and my husband and I both work full time in high-stress jobs and we have been on our current property 3 years (both having had a lot of experience of larger scale farming when were younger) and it has taken that many weekends to get it into "shape" i.e weeds under control and fences in place (would never say it wasn't worth it) but I guess I am trying to point out that if you want a life outside of your block and work start small - you can always buy a bigger one in the future!

Confirmed horse addict.

More
6 years 5 months ago #517443 by RvrCottageLad
Hi, new to LSB so first post.
We purchased 10 acres just out of Christchurch after living in the city for our whole lives (myself and wife) and built a modern family farm house.
We have now been living there about 2 and a half years and after coming from doing f all in the city to managing 10 acres, and I can say we love it. Rider1803 is right it is a lot of work but we make time to still go to work each day, raise children and have holidays, etc.
We are running 4 Angus Hereford crosses, 6 Wiltshire ewes and looking at getting chickens and pigs to deal with scraps, etc. plus a 40m x 12m vege garden and orchard which is underway and producing.
We mainly wanted a change in lifestyle to be more self sufficient.
But don't worry, it not all Alaska the last frontier, the best thing with 5 - 10 acres is it is only a mini farm and you choose the what to do.
For example we picked wilties because they shed there wool and are good meat sheep with high pregnancy rates.
Even if you are not in a position to have stock immediately you can talk to a local and crop the rest of your block while building, etc.
We split off 2 acres for the house and cropped 8 acres for two years while building which is money for jam and allows you to focus on smaller projects and work up from there.
I hope this helps with the decision.
Cheers.

More
6 years 5 months ago #517496 by tonybaker
if you find an affordable piece of land, go for it. Size does not matter - you can always let a neighbour graze it or let townies put their horses to graze on any spare acreage..
Check it has water, land without water is useless. Go to the relevant local authority and check the land out, especially for any water permits.
Don't think you will pay any bills from your land and whatever you do do not register for GST or run it as a business - it will come back to haunt you. Just be happy to minimise your living costs by growing veges and meat.
Don't be afraid to give it all away after a few years, LSB is not for everyone!
Having said that, I think it is the perfect way to bring up kids and live an active and healthy lifetstyle - just do it!

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ben_Haze

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds