Hi. I'm Lynn.

More
6 years 5 months ago #517161 by Pintinlyn
Hi. I'm Lynn. was created by Pintinlyn
I found this forum yesterday and I have already received replies from you, thank you. I am a wanabe lifestyle blocker. I have even tried to make chooks into city slickers . they ate all my veg and escaped into the neighbours to eat hers. Not a great success. Im a softie and didn't like to keep them confined. I now have a garden that feeds two families. Love it but dream of more space one day.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #517162 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Hi. I'm Lynn.
Welcome, Lynn. Where's your city - you don't have to say, just upper/lower north, etc. and we'll figure it out. ;) It makes a difference when talking climate-related issues. :)

More
6 years 5 months ago #517163 by lindee
Replied by lindee on topic Hi. I'm Lynn.
Hi Lynn,
There are a few of us on here who try to manage our residential back yards as though they were endless acres :P and live vicariously through the posts from actual lifestyle blockers. ;) :lol: :silly:

It's not denial. I'm just selective about the reality I accept. ;)

One Bull Terrier/Greyhound X, one very full-on Huntaway X pup, four assorted felines, [strike]nine[/strike] thirteen assorted hens, two accidental roos, two adorable BaabeeDoll sheep.

More
6 years 5 months ago #517167 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Hi. I'm Lynn.
Hi and welcome. Hens are herd animals, and if you have a rooster or too many, they are also heard. Nelson city does not permit roosters within the city boundaries, but does allow a few hens. Because they like living together, they don't mind being in a caged area ..... except for a very few. Sometimes I help a sheep farmer who is rearing lambs and ewes on a free range egg farm. Of the hundreds of hens in each enclosure, there is always one that sits beside the gate and tries to get out. Fortunately they are extremely laid back chooks, so can be picked up and put back in with the flock. So don't worry about confining chickens in a clean and safe enclosure.

More
6 years 5 months ago #517178 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Hi. I'm Lynn.

LongRidge wrote: Hi and welcome. Hens are herd animals, .

LR, hens are neither herd, nor animals.
Hens are counted in flocks, and are birds.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
6 years 5 months ago #517199 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic Hi. I'm Lynn.

lindee wrote: Hi Lynn,
There are a few of us on here who try to manage our residential back yards as though they were endless acres :P and live vicariously through the posts from actual lifestyle blockers. ;) :lol: :silly:

:lol: :lol: that would be me :whistle:

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
6 years 5 months ago #517229 by Pintinlyn
Replied by Pintinlyn on topic Hi. I'm Lynn.
Thank you all for your welcome. I live in Tauranga. Great climate to grow almost anything, except gooseberries. I saw a TV program a while ago where they had built a metre wide chicken run all around the boundary of their suburban back yard. It gave the chickens a lot of space. The garden was cultivated right next to it. Looked great.

More
6 years 5 months ago #517233 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Hi. I'm Lynn.
Welcome Lynn, we live just out of Te Puna.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pintinlyn

More
6 years 5 months ago #517273 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Hi. I'm Lynn.
welcome Lynn!
free range chooks sound nice but you will tire of it eventually. Being friendly creatures they will congregate around your back door and leave their calling card. They love green stuff and can consume a surprising quantity out of your garden if left to their own devices.
Either have a portable run or fixed cage, it's easy enough to bring the green food to them. You will also need a self feeder, get one of those hop on ones - otherwise you will have the fattest sparrows in the neighbourhood.
Keep it simple to start with is my advice, a reliable water supply is essential.
Good luck.....

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds