Thinking about the move to small lifestyle ....

More
6 years 7 months ago #515748 by Becka
HI

We are looking to buy a bare 5 acre block in Kaukapakapa. The land is all pasture. We would like to have animals but are not sure what to start with other than some chooks.
Our kids are thrilled with the idea of getting a dog as we have always told them if we moved to the country we would. But having read some of the guides, i am worried about the liability of owning a dog in the country. If we were to get one, what breed should i look for?
We would build a barn on the section, but have noticed that sheds seem to be the "gotta have more" item of farmers. How many of these do i need? Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #515759 by Stikkibeek
Number of sheds will come down to what you can afford, but, as Parkinson's law abounds (Junk expands to fit the space available) you will never have enough! :whistle:
Think about the kinds of things you will need eg. gator, lawn tractor etc....how many cars will you need to put under cover....are you going to raise lambs, calves, .....what sort of stock may determine yards, and you really need yards with loading race, head bale, first unless you have a good neighbour who will help you out as you get established.
As you plan the kind of house you will build, you will need to plan the out sheds too.......water? do you need tanks, that means pumps also pumpsheds. We combined our wood shed with the pump shed and kept it just under the 10msq footprint you need to escape Auckland stupid city bylaws, ie no permits required. And of course with a dog, you will need a secure fenced area with shelter if you leave dog at home alone, and for other times he is not directly under your control.
Dog types come down to personal preference, Terriers and Irish setters have a reputation for hunting/wandering, it's what they are bred for.
I suggest you go along to your local dog obedience place and see what others have. Some dogs are better pets for kids that others. A laid back type will be far easier to train that a highly energetic types. Labradors are nice dogs in the larger size, but known for greed, I like boarder collies. They are usually super intelligent, but one disadvantage is long hair, especially if it's going to spends some time indoors with you.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
The following user(s) said Thank You: Becka

More
6 years 7 months ago #515765 by muri
I would wait until I had bought the land in the first place before deciding what stock you are going to have. If you are not living on the land, then that greatly limits what you can have
The following user(s) said Thank You: Becka

More
6 years 7 months ago #515767 by Becka
we wouldn't get any animals till we had built our home. its just that as we can start this all from new as opposed to buying a working lifestyle bock we would like to know how we would set out the property.. where fences should be and best position for for sheds and the henhouse and all the other stuff needed. We are rather cautious and would prefer everything set up before we started.
I realise this is all subjective to how the lie of the land is, but is there any generic rules that we should apply.
Also what are the sorts of questions do we need to ask the seller about their land. We are pretty clued up on building houses, but we are green as when it comes to setting up a small lifestyle block.

thanks

More
6 years 7 months ago #515769 by tonybaker
ask about water supply, check owners answer with council as another permit may be needed. Check power, phone, internet availability. Check with council what you can build, don't assume anything.
Do your research by asking the correct authority, not people on here!

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
6 years 7 months ago #515770 by Anakei
A good rule of thumb is to have everything that you are going to visit often, closest to the house. Any good permaculture book will give you heaps of advice about setting up zones and what to put where, or google "permaculture zones" for ideas Even if you don't plan on going the permaculture way, it will help you plan . Good on you for thinking about it before you build. We looked at a lot of lifestyle blocks that were so haphazard as to be nearly unworkable.

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
6 years 7 months ago #515794 by Stikkibeek
If you need to set out fences, an aerial shot of the property can help immensely in setting out a good design. You then need to check that against the land form, as creeks, gullies, steep ridges etc can influence where the fences go. Ideally if the land is roughly rectangular, then a central race for ease of moving stock is good, but may not work well on 5 acres, so a wagon-wheel is good too with the house and lawns/orchard contained in one gap between the "spokes" that make up your wagon wheel, and the yards built in the centre, That way every paddock can be taken straight to the yards.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
6 years 7 months ago #515801 by muri
Becka there is an active and interesting group in Kumeu that meets monthly called Kumeu Small Landowners. The meetings are very varied but they also have visits to different farms and I think going and seeing how other farms work can be really helpful in deciding where to move forwards
All the theories in the world dont really help if you dont know what you are doing, experiencing what other people are doing and what mistakes they have made is a good way of applying the theories of how to do things

More
6 years 7 months ago #515805 by tonybaker
yes, but first and foremost is the housing....make a friend of your local authority building inspector....it's no good having heaps of plans unless you do the groundwork.....once you know what you are allowed to do, then you can plan.....be careful about going "off grid" for power, once the power companies stop buying power from you, the numbers hardly stack up..

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
6 years 7 months ago #515812 by Hawkspur

tonybaker wrote: yes, but first and foremost is the housing....make a friend of your local authority building inspector....it's no good having heaps of plans unless you do the groundwork.....once you know what you are allowed to do, then you can plan.....be careful about going "off grid" for power, once the power companies stop buying power from you, the numbers hardly stack up..

If you are off-grid, you aren't going to be selling back to the grid, as you won't be connected to it...

You are right that selling back to the grid is getting less feasible, but those who are on-grid with some of their own power generation find it is worthwhile if they set things up so they use their generated power to reduce their grid power usage. It takes a little more planning, but is worthwhile in most cases.

More
6 years 7 months ago #515883 by bevhawkins
Where in KKK are you buying?. I am in Waitoki and know KKK very well.

Time to create page: 0.305 seconds