Hello - new to the LSB lifestyle

More
8 years 7 months ago #515685 by fnk
Hi everyone,

We've been lurking here for a while, but have recently taken possession of a LSB in Lower Moutere. We're pretty new to all this, and trying to to feel too overwhelmed :)

The previous owners have really neglected the place and now the grass is waist high. What's the best way of dealing with it when it gets that long? I can see it'll take days and days with a weed eater!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #515698 by Stikkibeek
You don't say how much land area this covers, which could make a difference on how to treat it. If it's usable as balelage, then talk to a contractor about selling as standing grass. If it's gone too far for that, you could either try neighbours with cattle that could eat it off, or, a baleage contractor may just mow it for you and leave it to compost.
If you are not yet in a position to buy your own stock, or confident enough to get started, then the above would be easiest.
You might also like to walk through it, or around treelines and make sure no rubbish is hidden (fence wire or limbs off tree, old tree stumps etc) No contractor will like risking his equipment on mowing grass if the area is full of rubbish.

Oh, and welcome to the LSB. :cheer:

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Stikkibeek.

More
8 years 7 months ago #515766 by LongRidge
As Stikkibeek said, balage, either "squares" (actually cubes) or rounds, very soon. We have used Mark Carey. So give a contractor a call, tell him who used to own the property, and see if he will have a look at the suitability of his baling and buying it for and from you.

More
8 years 7 months ago #515888 by fnk
The property is around 1.2 hectares (3 acres), but the overgrown grass is about half of it. Some of the grass is around orchard trees, so may be tricky with large machinery.

I'll make some phone calls and see what contractors say about it. Thinking I could also hire a tractor with a rotary slasher (once I've had a good look through for foreign objects)

Cheers

Karl

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds