New Farm dog not wanting to work

More
6 years 8 months ago #514808 by wjthomo
Hi There.

Im after some advise!. Just over 21/2 weeks ago, I got a Huntaway from a farm, where he ran with an older dog,( he is 18months old), and rounded up sheep and cattle when I watched him.
Now he has moved to our farm, he will not work, He runs anticlockwise, and just sits and wont move. He cowls around cattle, and runs off. I know he would be going through a massive change in his life, and has left his mate. I have been very patient with him, and just let him cruise and given him lots of love, but over the past few days I have taken him up to the paddock to try and get him to round up some sheep, but is just not interested.

Any thoughts on what I should do?

Julie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #514829 by Stikkibeek
Take him out on a long and preferably retractable lead and keep him on it as you walk around the stock. Encourage him to bark and praise him if he does. You can teach him to come in to you and stand while you have him under this control. A titbit reward is also good. He needs to learn you are his new Alpha male so that he begins to look to you for direction.
If you are shifting the stock, then run with him behind them, encouraging him with whatever commands he's used to having.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
6 years 8 months ago #514834 by wjthomo
Hi Stikkibeek.

Thanks for the advise, Ill give it a go this week. Is this quite normal, for a dog that has moved homes to just stop herding? And seem to loose all confidence?

More
6 years 8 months ago #514837 by Kiwi303
It depends on the training and the age.

I'm not an expert by any means, but to me it sounds like he was still following the lead of the older dog, rather than doing it himself. He now needs to learn he CAN do it himself without needing a senior dog to follow.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
6 years 8 months ago #514841 by Stikkibeek

wjthomo wrote: Hi Stikkibeek.

Thanks for the advise, Ill give it a go this week. Is this quite normal, for a dog that has moved homes to just stop herding? And seem to loose all confidence?

Yes. He's relatively young also for working, so he will be needing leadership. keep him on the long line until he regains confidence.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
6 years 8 months ago #514848 by muri
Have you talked to the previous owner, so you are consistent with signals and training so you are saying the same thing to the dog as the previous owner?

More
6 years 8 months ago #514868 by wjthomo
Hi Muri

Yes, I made sure I had the commands correct, Im thinking that he has been following the older dog, and now he is on his own, has got very confused. he is very smart, so Im going to keep working with him this week, and see if I can make progress!. ive just bought a retractable lead, and a few treats, so Im off to the paddock!

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds