60+ year old novice

More
8 years 9 months ago #514027 by DTWHOLLAND
Hi there all.Returned to grandparents10 acre homestead a few years ago after being away for 30 years. The house that was on the property burnt down about 15 years ago. Spent the last four years getting rid of the gorse, blackberry, woolly nightshade, privet, and ragwort. It is maori land in a whanau trust so I don't actually own it. It was in market garden for about 10 years but all the top soil washed off because it was a bit too steep. There is no grass as such, just weeds, weeds and more weeds. Now for the hard part. I have no idea about farming or animals. There are 5 yearling steers on the property at the moment. If I could have my time over again I would be a farmer,really enjoying it

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #514069 by Geba
Replied by Geba on topic 60+ year old novice
Sounds like a challenge :) Which part of the country are you in?
The following user(s) said Thank You: DTWHOLLAND

More
8 years 9 months ago #514070 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic 60+ year old novice
Welcome to the board!
It would be worth getting some soil tests done so you have some idea of the fertility which is there - there must be some topsoil!

More
8 years 9 months ago #514082 by DTWHOLLAND
Replied by DTWHOLLAND on topic 60+ year old novice
Hi there
Block is at Port Waikato. I will get a soil test as advised because as far as I know there has been no fertiliser application for at least 15 and maybe 20 years. Cheers

More
8 years 9 months ago #514088 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic 60+ year old novice
look at it this way: with it having been a market garden some decades ago, the loss of the top soil could also mean the disappearance of possible chemical non-desirables..... ;)

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
8 years 9 months ago #514123 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic 60+ year old novice
don't rush in to apply fertilizer, probably lime is good. Get rid of the steers as they are helping the erosion if it is sloping land. You have an opportunity to go organic if it has been fertiliser free for so long.

Is the main priority stabilising the soil? Grass is amazingly effective at this....talk to some permaculture people, weeds are not a bad thing per se....they will indicate what's missing in the soil.
If it really is sloping hilly land, plant trees and concentrate on the bit of flat that you have.....

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
8 years 9 months ago #514204 by RaeM1
Replied by RaeM1 on topic 60+ year old novice
We managed the farm at the tip of Port Waikato, and it went from the road at the actual township right through to Daff road, the farm was 12 klms long and went uphill to the back all the way except for the big gullies along the river side, and mustering that was really hard. Hubby on one side of the gully, me on the other side of the gully with one of his dogs on a lead, barking to get the sheep out of the rubbish that was on the sides of the gully. Only yards at the back and another set at the front, so everything had to be moved a long way to get drenched etc. Had cattle fall off the sides of the hills, one had falled down and was trapped on fence line, so had to cut fence, roll her over and down onto road. She was put out of her misery before we did that, but was a real act, as had to stop all traffic so we could get her onto tractor tray to take her to cut up for dogs.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds