Greetings All /Newbie / Cats and Chooks

More
8 years 6 months ago #511855 by Thoroughbred
Have just bought my first home and it is a rural property out the back of Napier. Woohoo I feel grown up [8D] I move into the place next month. A huge motivation was I seem to be a magnet to slow race horses who get booted off the track so I now have the pleasure of opening my door and seeing them outside:o rather then paying someone else for grazing.
It comes with chickens -bonus :D and I will take my cat Amelia who is going to think she has died and gone to heaven, plus 6 goldfish :rolleyes:
My question is, I don't think Amelia is that much of a hunter although she could prove me wrong -hopefully...with mice...but what are the best ways of teaching her that chickens are not on her menu or will she be fine with them when they are out of the coop free ranging? :) Thanks

"Bread may feed my body, but my horse feeds my soul."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #513311 by Mich
Big congratulations, Thoroughbred - I'm really happy for you. Welcome to the site. Don't have an answer for you about the chickens - our cat has never looked in their direction as far as I know - but I'm sure Amelia will just love her new surroundings. She may go missing in action for a time while she gets used to her new 'boundaries'.

Look forward to hearing more about your place once you get in there.
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
8 years 6 months ago #513312 by Thoroughbred
Thank you Mich. [8D]...I feel welcomed at the site already with that reply, and no doubt I will have a million stories to share once we move in [:o)],,,(off to google what Polwarths are)

More
8 years 6 months ago #513313 by lindee
Welcome! and well done :)

When we first got chooks, one of our cats decided those new big sparrows looked interesting but quickly changed his mind when he got closer as they were a lot bigger than he thought, especially running at him with wings out-spread :D (We didn't let him see us laughing at him). Our 2 dogs, 4 cats and 6 chooks all co-exist quite happily and without drama, so I'm sure Amelia and the chooks will sort out their 'pecking order' :D

Just a note of caution: free range chooks WILL find your back door and will want to come inside, usually looking for cat food, even if they have a luscious field of chook-related food! :rolleyes:

It's not denial. I'm just selective about the reality I accept. ;)

One Bull Terrier/Greyhound X, one very full-on Huntaway X pup, four assorted felines, [strike]nine[/strike] thirteen assorted hens, two accidental roos, two adorable BaabeeDoll sheep.

More
8 years 6 months ago #513317 by Thoroughbred
Thank you for the welcome Lindee...[8D]...ok I feel good. Amelia is a bit of a chicken, excuse the pun, and runs and hides from her shadow so the chooks will probably rule the roost, :rolleyes:...I am on fire today [xx(]

More
8 years 6 months ago #513320 by Stikkibeek
You won't have any trouble with the cat tackling a full grown hen/rooster, only things you will need to guard against is with very small chicks...say up to about 6 weeks. You'd need to have them confined until bigger anyway as they will be prey for the likes of hawks while small. My hens free range during the day, but I always lock them in at night, so they are away from being targeted by other predators. Don't collect too many of those slow race horses will you, or you will be back to paying grazing on someone else's property :)
Welcome to the LSB.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 6 months ago #513360 by terralee
Welcome TB...love your dream ...hope it all comes true ...and YAY for all those slow race horses[^]
Oh and I am sure your chicken cat will leave the chooks ...not usually a problem ...and well I doubt that mice will be that enticing either [}:)]

Enjoy
Cheers :D

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
8 years 6 months ago #513366 by Thoroughbred
thank you stikkibeek and teralee...I will try not to collect too many... hehehhe

More
8 years 6 months ago #513393 by Belle Bosse
Hi and welcome.

We have 2 cats and 3 hens and have had no problem with the mix, even when in the same area.
My female cat is distinctly disinterested in the hens, right from when I first showed her a smaller than pullet sized chicken.
My male cat is a prankster and has taken great delight in stalking and pouncing beside the hen to see her leap skyward and come down in a squawking ruffle of loose feathers. He had tried stalking the hen earlier and found himself on the wrong side of a full flighted charging hen... a Light Sussex, which is a large bird.
He has a continued interest in the hens but never for attack purposes. He supervises the hens when they are in the same area and since moving to our farm he reminds me twice a day that it is time to go and see the hens... rain, mud or fine, he is off down the track to see the hens. Last week I let the hens free range while I was working in the orchard and my cat was supervising the hens for a while before fighting his way through long grass to join me.

More
8 years 6 months ago #513426 by igor
Our chooks will catch and eat mice themselves.
Our close neighbour has about fifteen cats and we don't have any issues with cat / chook interaction. I have seen a chook giving a visiting cat a good tune-up once and the cat was backing down quite rapidly.

More
8 years 6 months ago #513427 by Thoroughbred
I have already named them. Gregory Peck is the rooster. Big handsome gentle thing with movie star looks who I feed walnuts to that had fallen of the walnut tree. And the girls are Marilyn Monroe (blonde and voluptuous), Liza Minelli ( small dark bantam), Angelina Jolie ( hid away from us like we were paparazzi) and Gwenyth Paltrow ( the prettiest of them all)....

More
8 years 6 months ago #513743 by Helenna
Congrats! :cheer: I recommend you take can and chickens and play together, watching that Amelia couldn't eat them. In some time she'll understand that chickens is part of family ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thoroughbred

More
8 years 4 months ago #515775 by Avoca
Hi there. We are in Poraiti and have been on a learning curve for 9 years now. We still love it and shake our heads at any thought of living in suburban Napier again. Our cat never bothered our chickens. He was more scared of them than anything. If he got too close they pecked him! Enjoy your new life!

More
8 years 4 months ago #515795 by Stikkibeek

Thoroughbred wrote: , Angelina Jolie ( hid away from us like we were paparazzi)

Perhaps Greta Garbo could also have been a good choice of name. :dry:

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 4 months ago #515809 by Gracelands
Oooh, Gregory Peck is such a good name for a rooster! Mine all got named after rock-stars, with the strutting, and the plumage, and all the girls chasing them. :P Welcome to the site. I agree you shouldn't have any problems with your 'chicken' cat and the actual chickens.

"Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower."
Hans Christian Anderson

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds