Hello all from Babydoll Sheep in Feilding, Manawatu!

More
6 years 10 months ago #511853 by NZ_Babydoll_Sheep
Hello all - my name is Fatima, everybody keeps saying I should register here - finally found a minute to do it.

We are breeders of purebred babydoll sheep, based in Manawatu. Our Facebook page is [URL] www.facebook.com/NZBabydollSheep [/URL] - please 'like' us!
We currently have a couple of puredbred lambs for sale , and two 'budget babydolls' (ie, crosses with 'normal' size sheep).
Anyone wanted to chat about babydolls -just contact me! :)
Looking fw to meeting you all!
Fatima

Purebred Babydoll Sheep Breeders, Feilding, Manawatu
[URL] www.facebook.com/NZBabydollSheep [/URL]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #513307 by muri
I had heard that Peter Yealands had found the Baby Doll didnt actually work in the vineyards, despite all the hype around them. Not sure why tho.
Also, with cross breds from what I understand from my neighbour who has a vineyard and has looked into the Babydoll [he also has sheep in his vineyard but mainly arapawa] the advantage of the Baby Doll is their very woolly faces which means they cant easily access the grape leaves. So that would mean that the cross bred sheep even tho small may not necessarily be of use in the vineyard?

More
6 years 10 months ago #513357 by NZ_Babydoll_Sheep

muri;520404 wrote: I had heard that Peter Yealands had found the Baby Doll didnt actually work in the vineyards, despite all the hype around them. Not sure why tho.
Also, with cross breds from what I understand from my neighbour who has a vineyard and has looked into the Babydoll [he also has sheep in his vineyard but mainly arapawa] the advantage of the Baby Doll is their very woolly faces which means they cant easily access the grape leaves. So that would mean that the cross bred sheep even tho small may not necessarily be of use in the vineyard?

HI there Muri -
I am not sure where you heard that, but Peter has now got a dedicated web page for his babydolls, who have done an exceptional job. Peter has also won a few awards for his use of these cute little sheep, you can see his page here: [URL] www.babydollwines.co.nz/pages/baby-doll/meet-babydolls [/URL]
He is STILL not selling any, as he has to build up his flock to 10,000 in order to completely cut out the use of lawnmowers on his huge property (and he has only 1500 now). So I think the stuff you heard is, a best, someone's misunderstanding.
In any case-Peter is not the first one to use them (hardly) - they have been widely used for this purpose overseas, with huge success, for a long time. :) Peter was relatively late to come up with the project. You can google etc.

I am not sure about the other claim ('very wooly faces which cant access the grape leaves') - but from looking at our babydolls - they don't even touch the hedge or the higher weeds. I am not sure why - other 'normal' sheep on our property eat it all. Babydolls - not a chance. We have had the flock for 10 months now - not a single one has even thought of touching anything but grass, despite them living in paddocks with various tress, shrubs and what not. .
I went recently and visited someone who had southdowns (albeit very small - bred to be small over a decade or so) and according to the breeders, they eat EVERYTHING, grass, weeds, fruit tree samplings, no matter how tall -they go and ate everythng. But then again - these people have been breeding Southdowns for decades, and they told me that the today's Southdown was a very different to the one from say, 30 yrs ago. And yes, it is fair to say that modern Southdown is a product of crossing of Olde English Southdown (Babydoll) wth all sorts of sheep breeds - and those breeds' characteristics will of course show and come thru in modern Southdown. It is like crossing any animal with some other breed - the genetics are pretty much forever altered.
Babydolls (Olde English Southdown) have unchanged genetics for 400 yrs (minimum).
I have to say I am a purist - I like purebred animals and do not really believe in crossing per se. So I might be biased. :)

More
6 years 10 months ago #513387 by kindajojo
I wonder if there would be a market for the meat in the BBQ niche, a whole One would go nicely on a spit roast, we find a whole normal size lamb a bit much unless you have a lot of people.
They would have to be considerably cheaper though

More
6 years 10 months ago #513394 by NZ_Babydoll_Sheep

kindajojo;520495 wrote: I wonder if there would be a market for the meat in the BBQ niche, a whole One would go nicely on a spit roast, we find a whole normal size lamb a bit much unless you have a lot of people.
They would have to be considerably cheaper though

Don't know about that...:) I grew up in Europe and we had lambs on spit all the time (no babydolls tho :)) As long as you have a younger lamb -it can be as small as you like :) You can have it as young as you like too.
As for babydolls - I think maybe in the future we can think of roasting them, but for now, worldwide, they are just too expensive, and I don't see it changing any time soon.
I think, for a lamb spit, it is way better to buy a young 'normal' sheep lamb. :) Happy barbecuing :)

More
6 years 10 months ago #513396 by muri
Baby Doll sheep are only very expensive in NZ as they have been recently imported and are a fad here at the moment.
The price of sheep all over the world has decreased and the Baby Doll fad will pass as have many other varieties of sheep brought into the country.
Another example of importing sheep for a high price is the Damara, you can buy them in Australia for $100 each and people here are selling them for anything from $300-900.
The market for such expensive sheep is not big. At the end of the day, they are all sheep and our market cant sustain those prices
We have seen it with other animals and breeds, A few breeders may pay the high prices but then the market slumps substantially

More
6 years 10 months ago #513401 by NZ_Babydoll_Sheep

muri;520505 wrote: Baby Doll sheep are only very expensive in NZ as they have been recently imported and are a fad here at the moment.
The price of sheep all over the world has decreased and the Baby Doll fad will pass as have many other varieties of sheep brought into the country.
Another example of importing sheep for a high price is the Damara, you can buy them in Australia for $100 each and people here are selling them for anything from $300-900.
The market for such expensive sheep is not big. At the end of the day, they are all sheep and our market cant sustain those prices
We have seen it with other animals and breeds, A few breeders may pay the high prices but then the market slumps substantially

Hello Muri -
well that is your opinion :)
We so far have only one male lamb left for sale. We even just sold an extra 1yr old ram we had left over from last year (our purebred registered lambs go for $950). But in any case -we are not here to make millions by selling babydolls LOL. In fact I am thinking of keeping this last male lamb for myself anyway, as a backup.
But yes, the market for any rare breed of any animal is not big, I agree. But there will always be people who like one breed over the other etc. And there will be always people who just want a cheap healthy crossbreeds to breed for profit etc -which is also fine.

For example, a babydoll lamb bought in Australia costs AU$1000 at the moment (just base price from abreeders), and they have been there for years now - price has stayed the same. Breeders have a waiting list. I recently talked to a lady who breeds purebred Awassi sheep in NZ (Kapiti) -she sells lambs for $900 and she has sold out for this season.
But at the end of the day -we are all different and have different preferences, and that is great! :) Best, Fatima

www.facebook.com/NZBabydollSheep

More
6 years 10 months ago #513431 by kindajojo
Got to agree with Muri, for those of us with time under the belt ..I can recall alpacas selling for $10 k plus for an animal ...now they go for a couple of hundred or free to a lifetime home, highland cows $5k a cow ....now way more reasonable, Dorpers when I looked at them were $2k a ram, now I wouldn't have one if you gave it too me. Even wilti's were expensive at $200.00 a ewe 10 years ago, I now sell my ewes for $150.00 haven't exactly kept up with inflation.
You are certainly filling a niche market, so good luck with the baby dolls, and there is a market for them in the vineyards. Maybe a cross with a wilti so you don't need to shear as well would be great.

More
6 years 10 months ago #513433 by meadowlands
Good on you for doing what you want Fatima and don't worry about the 'knockers', you seem to get them in any hobby.
Lovely to see someone working on a breed that interests them.
Good luck and enjoy your sheep. :)

More
6 years 10 months ago #513448 by kindajojo
no one is knocking the idea, I thinks it great to have diverse options and they will fill a niche market.....just like many lifestyles do.
dIscussion is not criticism, it's just sharing ideas.

More
6 years 10 months ago #513451 by muri
The point I was trying to make is entirely different. A lot of people get quite badly burnt financially as they think these novel things are really good, the market gets flooded and they cant get rid of stock and they have lost a lot of money
I think its sad when people invest so much money in stock that will be diminishing in value each year as more and more come onto the market.
The point about the forum is that there are differing views and thats what keeps it healthy and interesting.
Someone will come on and ask a question about the health of an animal and may get 20 different responses. These opinions are what make the forums lively and stimulating. Otherwise we may as well just google or read books and not hear other opinions at all
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ronney, terralee, Hawkspur

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #513570 by NZ_Babydoll_Sheep
Hi Muri - you sound offended and very angry for some reason. I am so sorry if I offended you in some way (although I am at loss as how I have managed to do that by simply posting a single introductory post, about the matter that was unlikely to affect you in any way).

When I registered for this site -I was advised to go and introduce myself, which is what I did, in my original post in this thread, in best faith. Somehow - this made you very angry, and I am so so sorry about that. It was not our intention to make anyone so angry and upset.

Muri - it is not appropriate to say I was 'sad and upset' due to lost money because of import of rare livestock, in fact, it is a very ridiculous statement which has no link to reality. Perhaps you yourself have had a bad experience sometime in the past - and while we are so sorry about that, we have not had such an experience ourselves. I feel your anger and I do symphatize with you on that, although i dont understand it, but you need to understand that I am anything but sad, and despite money NOT being the major reason for us being passionate about one particular ancient and rare breed of livestock - we are actually doing quite well financially and sales-wise, as I wrote in my post above. It is very exciting and great fun - and all we wanted to do here on this site was to introduce ourselves and give opportunity to likeminded people to contact us. We were not intending to offend you or make you so angry/upset.
As i wrote above, there are a number of people who are passionate about rare breeds of animals in NZ (check out www.rarebreeds.co.nz ) and all over the world. I don't know why you are so ANGRY about the whole thing, after all, it does not affect you in any way, does it? We have lots of likeminded kiwi enthusiasts contacting us - some people just care about preservation of PUREBRED rare breed animals - and it is nice if they have a way of contacting us thru various means. Please - there is no need to be so angry about it . :(
We are passionate about purebred animals, we own a few (dogs, sheep,horses - all of rare breeds), and we are so sorry this upsets you so much . It is very strange - as we are anything but sad, and we are certainly not losing money, as you seem to imply, on our behalf (!?).

Nobody is forcing you to do anything - we indeed respect your opinion but we are at loss as why such anger from your side. We do hope you are ok tho, we again apologize for upsetting you and we think it is the best if you ignored our posts from now on, as they seem to make you so angry (and we hate the mere thought of making people this angry and upset). Have a lovely week, we hope you are ok and happy, and we wish you and your animals all the very best,
Fatima
www.facebook.com/NZBabydollSheep
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by NZ_Babydoll_Sheep. Reason: formatting

More
6 years 10 months ago #513571 by NZ_Babydoll_Sheep
Thank you kindajojo! We think diversity is wonderful :)

More
6 years 10 months ago #513572 by NZ_Babydoll_Sheep
Thank you Meadowlands -we are really excited about preservation of this ancient breed :)

More
6 years 10 months ago #513573 by Mich
Hi Fatima - welcome to the site. As one who loves sheep, it's always good to see enthusiasm for them, whatever the breed, and it looks like you really enjoy building up your purebred flock and selling them on so others can enjoy them too. I hadn't seen them before until another member started posting photos of the ones she's breeding - they're so cute!!!

I think there's been a misunderstanding over Muri's comments. I didn't see anything in them that indicates anger at you, your sheep or your posts. In fact, Muri is a strong supporter of sheep, as well as being knowledgeable about them :) But there's truth in the comment that people have been burned through paying big money for stock that are new or the latest hot breed - thinking emus, angora goats, alpacas to name a few. Once the market gets flooded or the trend moves on to another thing, prices can go down and those that paid big money for breeding stock at the start of the trend can often find themselves out of pocket. That's not criticism of your situation or knocking what you're doing, merely stating something that many of us have seen over the years. ;)

Good to see another breeder of rare sheep on the site. Look forward to hearing more about your flock. And we all love pictures... :P

Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds