Hi and help please

More
6 years 9 months ago #511752 by mm1826
Hi and help please was created by mm1826
Hi, was looking online for info about lambs and seen lsb so thought id join. I was given an orghaned lamb 4 days ago. Shes so full of energy. She is 8 days old. But she has developed a dark green slightly runny poo. I havent changed anything. Im feeding her same stuff and amounts the lady that gave her to me was. She started it yesterday afternoon. Im not sure what is wrong and dont want her getting worse.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #512342 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Hi and help please
Welcome to the forum.
Lambs can become runny for a number of reasons from changes in their health to the hygeine of the feeding equipment or a change in diet.
As it appears you havent made a change then you have to look at other factors.
Do you know if the mothers were vaccinated before giving birth?
Sometimes replacing milk with electrolytes until it comes right can help the lamb get over the problem. Sometimes there can be a deeper health issue, its hard to know.
Do you have a local vet you can take the lamb too?

More
6 years 9 months ago #512345 by mm1826
Replied by mm1826 on topic Hi and help please
Hi Muri. The lady informed me that the mother was vaccinated. The vet is about an hour drive from here. I wash her bottle after every feed and soak in boiling hot water between feeds. I really hope she doesnt get worse. Shes such a sweet little thing. If it persists i will take her to the vet.

More
6 years 9 months ago #512348 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Hi and help please
Go on line and look up some recipes for electrolytes so if need be you can make some up.
You can also try putting some plain, preferably probiotic yoghurt in the feed as it can be good for their stomach

More
6 years 9 months ago #512349 by mm1826
Awesome. Thank you.

More
6 years 9 months ago #512354 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Hi and help please
Where are you? If you are north of about Christchurch, the grass at the moment is growing very rapidly. It also will have lots of water in it. At 8 days the lamb will be nibbling on everything and actually eating grass. Digestion of grass happens in the rumen, which is in effect an internal fermentation vat. The bugs in the rumen do most of the digestion, but a young lamb's rumen is nearly sterile, so it has to pick up the right bugs from the soil. Until it has enough of these bugs, the grass more or less goes in and out mashed up but not well digested. Thus the poo can be very loose for a couple of weeks. So it is very normal ...... except when .....
If the lamb has no access to grass and only to hay, meal or pellets, then it has a health problem. When that happens they also become less active and fiddle around or won't drink the milk you are feeding them. If either of those have happened then electrolytes instead of milk, for a couple of days, often helps.

More
6 years 9 months ago #512357 by mm1826
Thanks Longridge. Im in Taranaki. She has just started nibbling on grass. I have added 1 teaspoon of organic natural yoghurt to her bottles she has been fiddling around when we try to feed her..

More
6 years 9 months ago #512358 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Hi and help please
Go to "Your Place", page 2, "Bloat in bottle fed lambs", post #5 to find what ceres farm have found about feeding yoghurt to lambs.

More
6 years 9 months ago #512361 by mm1826
That was a good read, very informative. Thank you

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds