Hi and Sheep Help please!

More
8 years 6 months ago #511701 by LauraE
Good Morning!
I am new to the forum although I have been looking at the website quite a lot over the past few months.
I live in Auckland and have a small field that I have been trying to decide what to do with. I was raised on a farm in the UK so fairly confident with animals and understanding small farming (although my Dads farm is far from small!)
Today I have had a call from a friend who has 2 lambs and wants to know if I want them. Randomly her boss has sheep and told her he had some lambs abandoned by their mums and she fell in love so has taken them home to bottle feed. Well of course 1 day in and she has quickly realised lambs are not kittens so is needing to re-home them!
I'm keen to take them and to eat them later down the road - not that she knows that yet :)
Can any offer me some advise please? Is there anything straight away that I should know before taking them? I need to look into home kill regulations more as in the UK we would send the lambs off to market, I dont know if NZ is the same. Also are they going to require any vaccinations in order for them to be safe to eat
Any advice you can give is great, its currently night time in the UK and my dad is sleeping so I can't call him!
Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #511957 by John M
Replied by John M on topic Hi and Sheep Help please!
You'd hope the farmer or your friend is using a colostrum alternative like JumpStart.

wean across slowly to Anlamb or Milligans etc. Little and often. I personally don't bring lambs inside, I have a quiet sheltered hut with cover from all wind and rain, I use straw for the bedding and the enclosure that they are allowed out into during the daytime is also under cover and sheltered from the south east where our coldest wind/rain comes from. They are only locked into the hut for the first 3-4 nights and quickly settle in. This area opens out into main sheep paddock where I often have ewes and lambs and they quickly join the others but always return for feeds and sleeping into hte enclosure/hut.

Some vets offer free vaccinations for any pet/ag day lambs, so ask around for that info from a couple of local vets.

Homekill, you can do it yourself, or plenty of rural butchers offer that service either on farm or you drop them off at their slaughter house, a week later you get your beautiful meat back. You just can't sell your meat to anyone else.

Otherwise, have fun and enjoy them.

John

Breeding black Wiltshire shedding sheep.

Full shedding, easy care, good feet, easy lambing and good mothering is what it takes to make the breeding cut!

More
8 years 6 months ago #511958 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Hi and Sheep Help please!
Welcome aboard Laura.
Basically in New Zealand you are allowed to kill for your own use but you may not legally sell the meat. As far as drenching and vaccinations are concerned it depends upon how lucky you feel whether you do it or take a chance on your sheep randomly dying at an inconvenient time.

More
8 years 6 months ago #511961 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Hi and Sheep Help please!
Yeah, milk powder is about $60.00 per 20 kgs, you will need at least 2 bags...Anlamb is a good brand, but there are others that will do the job,
Feeding instructions on the pack, but better to go with more feeds per day if you can manage it.
I never feed more that 500ml at a feed....
Make sure the got colostrum otherwise they are prone to just die.
If the ewes were vaccinated and they got colostrum ...which I doubt if they were abandoned, you can get a couple of doses from the vet....shouldn't need drenching
Keep them clean and warm plenty of grass when the spring grass comes in. There will be homekill, and I am sure that someone from Ak will advise

More
8 years 6 months ago #511962 by Edenview
Replied by Edenview on topic Hi and Sheep Help please!
Where do you get your milk powder from kindajojo? Last season it was so expensive it was hardly worth it for us, was wondering if I was offered another orphan this year if I would take it. But maybe that's just qt prices, obviously here we are all rich and famous....

More
8 years 6 months ago #511968 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Hi and Sheep Help please!
LauraE how much land do you have and is it sufficient to support the two sheep through their growing. Is the fencing good. Are you in a rural or suburban situation and if the latter, are you allowed to keep sheep in that area? Are there farms around you so that when you need a shearer you can get the sheep shorn as well as getting support from people around you?

More
8 years 6 months ago #511974 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Hi and Sheep Help please!

Edenview;518888 wrote: Where do you get your milk powder from kindajojo? Last season it was so expensive it was hardly worth it for us, was wondering if I was offered another orphan this year if I would take it. But maybe that's just qt prices, obviously here we are all rich and famous....

Farmlands, I was quite surprised, I think it was pushing $90.00 last year...and yes, not worth raising lambs, so I gave any orphans away.....

More
8 years 6 months ago #511979 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Hi and Sheep Help please!
It was $65 at pggs yesterday here but it could have been on special, amcalf has come down $30 a bag as well

More
8 years 6 months ago #512003 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Hi and Sheep Help please!
Most importantly, ensure that everyone knows they are going to be Lambchops and Stew(art). Anyone that is likely to become unhappy with that decision should not help feed and care for them.
They will not get worms unless the pasture has been grazed by sheep or goats within the last 2 years.
They are quite likely to get sheep measles due to the neighbours within 6 km feeding their dogs sheep or goat meat or offal that has not been properly processed. There is nothing you can do about that. SM does not affect nor infect humans.
Are all the fences dog-proof?
They will need to be shorn. It has been done with scissors before now, but your best option is to ask the farmer that they came from if you can bring these lambs to his place when the shearer is there. Also ask him if he can supply a little bit of fly repellent.
It is not illegal to leave tails and testicles on, but these tend to make lambs of woolly breeds daggy. Tail much shorter than is common in England, otherwise the stumps get dirty which makes the legs dirty.

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds