What breed of drake?

• Jimijam
6 years 10 months ago #40081 by Jimijam
What breed of drake? was created by Jimijam
Hi, new to the site here. I have a small orchard with 6 ducks. 3 Khaki Campbell's, 3 Indian Runners and am wanting a drake. What breed drake (out of the two) should I get and why? Ducks are mainly for egg consumption and pets.
Cheers,
Jamie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #511155 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic What breed of drake?
so why do you want a drake?...I once has 2 moscovy ducks and decided to get a drake.we soon had 40 ducks and knee deep in poo!

if you jst want eggs and pet, unless you are prepared to eat the offspring.. forget the drake IMHOP

More
6 years 10 months ago #511175 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic What breed of drake?
Having bred ducks in the past, if you are just after eggs, don't bother with a drake.
One of the ducks will manage to hatch without you knowing. You can bet it will be the cross not a pure bred. [;)]

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
6 years 10 months ago #511233 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic What breed of drake?
come on, you guys! It's fun to have ducklings!

and, depending on space available, even ducks don't make that much of a mess. Personally, i prefer duck eggs over hens eggs anyday.

to answer your question, jimijam; either breed will do the trick if you're after ducklings.
if you are just after eggs, you don't need a drake, and both of your breeds are good layers.
if you are after ducklings so you can eat duck once in a while, go for the Khaki drake - he will produce larger birds with more meat.

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds