Section size?

More
6 years 10 months ago #40001 by BeckyMonster
Section size? was created by BeckyMonster
I joined some time ago with the idea that someday we'd have a little bit of land and some animals, and someday is looking like it might be in the next year or so. Land or suitable house hunt is underway!

My goals are 2 or so goats (two permanently, more at times) and their shed, 3-5 chickens, run and coop, some garden plots, maybe a couple of fruit trees, and a bit of space for (human) kids to knock about.

Size is an issue because of cost because we do need decent internet access for remote work, so need to be a bit closer to town centres.

Thoughts on minimums? TIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #510487 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic Section size?
Well I'm just about to do all that on just 1/4 of an acre, but you would have to be pretty committed to go so intensively. For your situation with the cling-ons I would think at least 1/2 to an acre minimum, but the saying cut your coat according to your cloth applies here. If you can't get so much land where you want to live then forgo the goats and just enjoy a big garden and a few chickens.

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
6 years 10 months ago #510540 by BeckyMonster
Replied by BeckyMonster on topic Section size?
That's what I was thinking, it could be done in 1/4 acre, but I'd like a good 1500sqM.

More
6 years 10 months ago #510554 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Section size?

BeckyMonster;517491 wrote: That's what I was thinking, it could be done in 1/4 acre, but I'd like a good 1500sqM.

Our town section was 1614m2 and there is no way we would have been able to sustain a goat on there without it being full time on supplied feed and some tethered grazing. Aside from the trees and shrubs planted on it, most of which would be poisonous to goats, we had a big orchard which would have been destroyed by a goat. I did have 12 hens though which free ranged the back yard.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
6 years 10 months ago #510591 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic Section size?

Stikkibeek;517505 wrote: Our town section was 1614m2 and there is no way we would have been able to sustain a goat on there without it being full time on supplied feed and some tethered grazing. Aside from the trees and shrubs planted on it, most of which would be poisonous to goats, we had a big orchard which would have been destroyed by a goat. I did have 12 hens though which free ranged the back yard.

Yes it will certainly be more difficult, but not impossible to own goats on a small section. Free ranging would be out of the question, but a suitable area fenced off, with shelter, and access to cut and carry and/or a fodder system would reduce reliance on bought in feed.
Likewise free ranging chickens on a smaller section would be problematic as they destroy everything, but an ark that can be moved around combines the best of both worlds.

The smaller section presents more challenges, but with good planning and ingenuity everything is possible :)

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
6 years 9 months ago #512222 by Fairlight
Replied by Fairlight on topic Section size?
I'm not sure how much goats eat compared to sheep, but one of our farmer friends said you could put one sheep on a 1/4 acre but you'd need winter feed for it.

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds