looking for Wiltshires

• Eileen
6 years 10 months ago #39998 by Eileen
looking for Wiltshires was created by Eileen
We've been on our block for nearly 9 years slowly accumulating knowledge, and putting in fences and water troughs etc. We've decided to move towards raising a few Wiltshire sheep. Before I can do that properly we'll have to get rid of most of our current flock of 9 ewes(4 sets of twins and counting), and 4 hoggets.
However I would to begin with a couple of orphaned Wiltshires, preferably ewe lambs, but then I couldn't be heartless and not take what is offered can I!?

I don't have any contacts for Wiltshire flocks in the greater Wairarapa and wonder if anyone knows of anyone who may have some they are willing to sell us. We could head further afield if necessary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Eileen
6 years 10 months ago #510483 by Eileen
Replied by Eileen on topic looking for Wiltshires
oops probably should have introduced ourselves a bit more since I hopped onto the newbies page!
I'm a long time reader of LSB-has helped me through some tricky situations! Orphan lambs, lambing disasters, pigs, raising meat bird chickens, feeding calves and even bread recipes!
We're on 28 acres near Carterton, but lease most of it for now to a dairy farmer. We think we may get the rest back next year so I'll be looking for advice on what to do-probably weaner calves.
But as I said for now once we've finished lambing(5 sets of healthy twins with 2 enormous ewes and 1 hogget to go) and I sell most of them by Christmas I'll look to getting in Wiltshires. Where might be the best place to get a small breeding flock?

More
6 years 10 months ago #510486 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic looking for Wiltshires
Bob Strickland at Waipukerau has a big flock, with some excellent sheep, I will have some for sale later in the year , but am in Halcombe and Jim Morrison at Marton has a big flock. Just make sure starting out, it pays to get good stock....even a ram over your existing ewes if you don't want to part with them and a few wilts ewes will allow you to build up over the years, they almost always twin .....16 lambs from 8 ewes so far .....and lambing wasn't due to start to the 5th....lol.

More
6 years 10 months ago #510504 by muri
Replied by muri on topic looking for Wiltshires
Strickland Wiltis I bought some last year, its important to get good stock to start with, especially if you are after shedding sheep, not all Wiltis fully shed

• Eileen
6 years 10 months ago #510534 by Eileen
Thanks for the advice re ram over our existing girls.
I'll still look out for any Wiltshire orphans for now, and find a ram for 2016.

More
6 years 10 months ago #510776 by John M
Replied by John M on topic looking for Wiltshires
I too will have a few white Wiltshire's for sale later in the year if you come up to Manawatu. I have two ewe lambs born late last year that are both good genetics also a ram that didn't sell either.

I kept too many last year and need to reduce breeding stock a bit.

I'm 10 lambs from 5 ewes at the moment.

John

Breeding black Wiltshire shedding sheep.

Full shedding, easy care, good feet, easy lambing and good mothering is what it takes to make the breeding cut!

More
6 years 10 months ago #510786 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic looking for Wiltshires
Ditto will have a good range for sale ....

• Eileen
6 years 10 months ago #510834 by Eileen
Thanks for your replies. Will keep you in mind a little later on.
We've finished lambing as of yesterday-Eight sets of twins from 8 ewes and a single from Felicity the hogget (who just needed a little help from the friendly vet!) Last year we had 2 sets of triplets so ended up with 2 pets.
Feeling very fortunate that all went well, although we kept a close eye on them and put a couple of the ewes with newborn in our portable yards for a night or 2 to ensure good bonding.

All the best for everyone else with lambing!

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds