850m2 - x2 Sheep?

• Quinn77
8 years 10 months ago #39961 by Quinn77
850m2 - x2 Sheep? was created by Quinn77
First time caller long time listener kinda post. Have got 850m2 and looking to get a couple of sheep, new borns or 1 yr olds. Is a paddock of 850m2 going to be sufficient? Its an average quality paddock but we will supplement feed if required.
Any feedback would be most appreciated.
Cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #510060 by muri
Replied by muri on topic 850m2 - x2 Sheep?
I would say you would really struggle to have two sheep on that amount of land.
When we lived in the city on 1800m sq, small house on large section so we would have had about 1000m of grazing perhaps, we had bottle fed lambs for the kids.
One sheep would eat out that area in its first 6 weeks of grazing so two sheep would last a lot shorter period.
I graze at the rate of 2-3 sheep per acre to ensure they have all year grass.
Feeding sheep is an expensive business

More
8 years 10 months ago #510062 by lindee
Replied by lindee on topic 850m2 - x2 Sheep?
Check with your neighbours, especially if in town, if they need their lawns grazed. :)

We have a quarter acre, as do our 3 surrounding neighbours and they are not overly enthused about mowing their huge sections. When we eventually get 2 sheep (hopefully miniature sheep) and a hot wire fence, they are happy for us to keep their back lawns 'mowed'. :D

It's not denial. I'm just selective about the reality I accept. ;)

One Bull Terrier/Greyhound X, one very full-on Huntaway X pup, four assorted felines, [strike]nine[/strike] thirteen assorted hens, two accidental roos, two adorable BaabeeDoll sheep.

More
8 years 10 months ago #510065 by Cigar
Replied by Cigar on topic 850m2 - x2 Sheep?
No si the straightforward answer. High quality well fertilised land under good management will handle up to 15 ewes/ha. On that basis 850m2 works out to 1.3 sheep as best.
You may be okay through periods of good growth such as spring, but not winter when the grass may only be growing at 20% what it does in spring (if it's growing at all). You could maybe get a couple of new lambs now and get rid off them in autumn (or sooner if it's a dry summer).

• Quinn77
8 years 10 months ago #510069 by Quinn77
Replied by Quinn77 on topic 850m2 - x2 Sheep?
Thought this might be the case and thanks for your replies. x2 Lambs up to autumn might be the plan, still a little bit sceptical as to how well the paddock will provide though. As we have this paddock joint to the house where renting what would be best suited to not only keep it down but give the wife and kids something to enjoy and potentially some extra meat in the freezer. Any feedback appreciated. Cheers.

More
8 years 10 months ago #510084 by muri
Cigar, I dont think you can extrapolate from a larger area to a very small area.
When you are working with 800m sq you will only have one paddock which will be under pressure the whole time without a rest. On a larger farm, you can rest some parts so they get the chance to recover before being grazed again.
I have seen farms that have 5 sheep to the acre, and they are virtually mud in winter and nothing to eat in the dry of summer, stunted lambs etc
I personally dont think you could do one sheep on a 800 sqm block, unless Lindee's idea above could work

More
8 years 10 months ago #510096 by Aquila
Replied by Aquila on topic 850m2 - x2 Sheep?
As another thought, If you are in town there is usually a bylaw prohibiting livestock within the town boundary

More
8 years 10 months ago #510099 by muri
I think you will find sheep are fine in urban areas if contained etc. Even Auckland City, the most prohibitive council in the country possibly, allows sheep and goats

More
8 years 10 months ago #510128 by Cigar

muri;516968 wrote: Cigar, I dont think you can extrapolate from a larger area to a very small area.

That's true, but I was using it to point out that if a good farmer on very good land can't do it, 2 sheep on 850m2 isn't doable.

• Quinn77
8 years 10 months ago #510133 by Quinn77
Replied by Quinn77 on topic 850m2 - x2 Sheep?
Not in town, in the country, Selwyn District. Best option looks like a goat to be fair, keep the paddock down. Thanks for the replies.

More
8 years 10 months ago #510136 by Aquila

muri;516984 wrote: I think you will find sheep are fine in urban areas if contained etc. Even Auckland City, the most prohibitive council in the country possibly, allows sheep and goats

Not in Christchurch.

More
8 years 10 months ago #510177 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic 850m2 - x2 Sheep?
15 ewes per hectare ..over the whole year, would require VERY good management , including supplementary feed, and maybe over a large very fertile area.

More
8 years 10 months ago #510225 by Cigar

kindajojo;517071 wrote: 15 ewes per hectare ..over the whole year, would require VERY good management , including supplementary feed, and maybe over a large very fertile area.

Thanks, you are making me blush! [:I]
In a previous job I ran 45 ewes on 3 hectares (and 48 on 3ha of ash soil). No supplements were fed, though lambs went off at weaning, rams were only there at mating, and no replacements were reared - but there were 45/48 ewes on each farmlet full time. The farmlet ran for about 15 years (8 yrs for the ash one) if I remember correctly.

More
8 years 10 months ago #510254 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic 850m2 - x2 Sheep?
Quinn77, check the area again. 850 m sq is 85m long, 10 m wide so is a very small "paddock". It would be far easier to mow that sort of size, or let the neighbours graze it a couple of times a year. If it is nearer 2000 m sq, or even 8500 m sq then that makes grazing much more possible.

More
8 years 10 months ago #510307 by Aquila
850m2 is less than a quarter acre, Typical house section in Christchurch if you are in the suburbs.

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds