Long time reader, first time poster

More
6 years 11 months ago #39921 by Starky307
Hi All,
As the title says I've been reading this forum for a while now and using it to help with all the somewhat silly questions a lifestyle block owner has.

My wife and I both grew up in a semi rural environment and had a goal of getting our own slice of paradise one day. That day came 2 years ago after spending nearly 7 years living in town, we haven't looked back!

I've found this site to be realy helpful especially going through our first lambing experience just over a week ago. So far we have had a single and a set of twins with one more ewe to lamb.

So far we have been able to make the most of our LSB by having our first home kill beef in the freezer, it looks like it's going to be hard to get a lamb or two in there with the way the wife is getting attached to them.

I just wanted to say thanks for any help you've already provided.

Brad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #509719 by tonic
Welcome!

More
6 years 11 months ago #509750 by reggit
Welcome from me too :)

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
6 years 11 months ago #509784 by Deanna
Welcome Starky. Only just over 2 1/2 years into it ourselves and like you, loving it.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
6 years 11 months ago #509788 by Starky307
Thanks for the welcome everyone

More
6 years 11 months ago #509795 by LongRidge
Fortunately lambs get much less cute as they get older, especially after they have been shorn. Your problem will be weaning the lambs by mid January, and keeping them away from mum and the ram until they have been killed. If any of the lambs are rams, put a ring around their testicles before they are about 3 weeks old, and around the tails of all of them if you are going to. In the Waikato where flystrike is a huge probability it would be wise to reduce the risk by tailing. Also, if it is done early then the wounds will have healed before flystrike season. Also get some anti-fly repellent from a local farmer or a vet if they will sell a small portion. We start anti-fly in November. And modern flies can strike shorn sheep :-((.

Time to create page: 0.231 seconds