Ho much to feed a nine-year old Huntaway

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #39766 by Janine_b
Hi everyone, I have been living in a small rural residential property in North Waikato which has been great. I was recently giving a nine-year-old Huntaway dog.

I know very little about dogs...was told by the previous owners they fed her a cup of small dog biscuits (she has lost a number of teeth over the years) twice a day.

However, I find she keeps following me into the kitchen time and time again and stands by the feed bowl...I do not want to feed to much but too little would be bad as well.... Can anyone shed any light on this? She tends to eat whatever I feed in one sitting..... We go for walks twice a day and if the weather is nice I leave her in the garden for a few hours and when I am working in the garden she joins me.

I have tried to fed her fruit and veg, was told she is used to be fed foodscraps, but she had no interest....

I would like to talk to someone who also has a Huntaway of around the same age.

Janine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #508164 by Hawkspur
We have a 5-year-old huntaway cross, who is similar in size to a huntaway, at about 35 kilos, and not quite as active as a busy working dog. She gets about 2-3 cups of high quality dog food twice a day, plus bones occasionally. We need to vary the amount depending on how much running around she is doing and whether she has supplemented it with possums!
How much you need to give does depend on the food. Some dog foods are less nutrient dense than others. What does the food you are giving her indicate for a dog her size?
If you can, weigh her, and check again in a week. Also, when a dog is standing, you should be able to feel the last ribs when patting firmly along their side, (feel under the hair if they are long haired), but the ribs should not be too pronounced.
In case she is just bored, or used to frequent feeding, give her a raw bone to occupy her as well. Even if she has lost some teeth, she will enjoy a gnaw.

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #508182 by Denneaux
Our 10 year old working dog gets 2 cups of proplan sport twice a day. It will depend on the type of food you have, but I'd lean towards feeding more esp during winter. Our working dogs aren't foodie at all, if we feed them too much, they just leave what they don't want.

Unless stated, the above post is not meant as criticism.

Go back and read it again in your HAPPY voice!

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #508185 by Janine_b
Thanks. I just wondered whether she'd be hungry. Tonight I spent a hour or two in the bedroom consoling the cat who is terrified there is now a dog in the house only to find afterwards the dog had scoffed two packets of biscuits (mine) and half a fruit loaf, which she retrieved off a rather full kitchen bench and which was wrapped in a paper bag inside a plastic bag. Unbelievable. She's well aware that was very naughty..... I decided to feed her another cup of dog bikkies....half of which she left...So perhaps the answer is she needs more food than suggested by previous owners....

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #508186 by Janine_b
Thanks. That's great. I am just concerned she may not get enough. Tonight I spent some time with an anxious cat who terrified there is a dog in the house only to find in the time away the dog had found and scoffed two packets of my biscuits as well as half a fruit loaf which she retrieved from a rather full kitchen bench and which was wrapped in a paper bag and inside a plastic bag. She was well aware she'd been naughty....I fed her some more dog bikkies but she ate only half of them.... The bikkies and amount she gets is per advice of previous owners who also said she got food scraps but she doesn't seem to car for the latter. I'll see if the local butcher can get her a bone...

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #508205 by igor
Be very careful not to overfeed, especially if the dog is not working.

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #508218 by Janine_b
I know...overfeeding I am very much afraid of....she's a pet, not a working dog...too docile. But a hungry dog ain't good either...she gets 1.5 cup twice a day now...The feed bag says 4-6 a day...

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #508224 by katieb
Put the dog outside & that should help the following to the kitchen prob....will also make the cat happier. This dog was prob never in a house before you go it.

If shes outside she can exercise herself as well. Our approx 12yr old(could be older) retired working dog would go nuts in the house, the only time shes been inside was spending a few days in the laundry after a 2.5K accident which retired her 3 months ago, shes now going out on the farm a bit more after spending 2 months tied up 23/7

A 9 year old still usually has plenty of life left so needs a decent amount of exercise per day to be happy

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

Time to create page: 0.359 seconds