New Member - Question

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #39754 by AGPS
New Member - Question was created by AGPS
Hi All,

Just checked in here and pleased to find a lot of useful info :)

Have searched but haven't seen an answer or opinion in regards to Barn/Home configurations that I'm considering...

I'm currently reviewing options available to build, I want living quarters (2 bed) combined with around 120sq m of storage space.

Both timber and steel framed options are available, is one better than the other...your thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #508006 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic New Member - Question
Steel framing is quicker to put together (for the professionals -YMMV) but the thermal bridging through the insulation is significant, and needs to be dealt with by having a layer of thermal break material, and this is even more important if steel cladding is used.

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #508015 by muri
Replied by muri on topic New Member - Question
I dont think I would consider a steel building to live in because of the noise factor.
Some of this can be damped down with insulation, but its not only the noise generated by high winds, but the expansion and contraction in heat as well

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #508048 by AGPS
Replied by AGPS on topic New Member - Question
Thanks Hawkspur and Muri, you both make valid points that I need to consider.
There seems to be a greater number of suppliers that offer steel than timber...are there other reputable timber building manufacturers in the market apart from Customkit?

Cheers ;)

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #508052 by muri
Replied by muri on topic New Member - Question
Customkit have a good name and I know people who have used them and been very happy and as dwellings rather than farm barns.
They will change things though to suit your specifications, rather than just what they show on their brochures
You might find it cheaper to get a builder to build what you want than buying through a known company

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds