Firenzo contessa Fire problems

More
8 years 8 months ago #507741 by Doen
Replied by Doen on topic Firenzo contessa Fire problems
We have a new Firenzo Viking installed and we also get the puffs of smoke. It was installed as a replacement to a Kent tile fire, which never smoked up. Firenzo offered no help apart from suggesting we weren't lighting the fire right, but it does it even after hours of burning. Heat transfer ducting helps to make the whole house smell slightly smokey too. Slightly frustrated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #507794 by wandering free
We are thinking of replacing our 19year old Kent Spectra and have just seen this advert, maybe it's not available in NZ, it gets good right ups for problem fires in the UK and they have very damp conditions to over come.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
8 years 8 months ago #507821 by pipjohnston55
Today I have installed an H cowl to see if that helps but still smoking. How long is your flue Kate? Defenitly no blockages as had another look today.

More
8 years 8 months ago #507857 by wandering free
I saw a video on 2 different types of chimneys a standard one and an eco type the difference was that the eco didn't draw air out of the house up through the ceiling plate, I wonder if our problems with blow back is caused by a vacuum created by the ceiling vent, maybe a dumb idea but I haven't found a fire yet that doesn't do it sometime.

We are in the process of trying to find a replacement for out 19 year old Kent Spectra. I'm wondering if it would be worth the extra cost to go for the new style of chimney. the video is here .

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,

More
8 years 8 months ago #507872 by pipjohnston55
Hi doen that exactly what they said to us I don't really know what to do about it other than replace this fire with a different brand.
Also (wandering free) ours is installed with a eco flue

More
8 years 8 months ago #507889 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Firenzo contessa Fire problems
Our flue is about 5m...I'm sure you've tried everything but have you taken the top off the Contessa and made sure there's not something in there causing the problem? We've had these fires for over 15 years and never had a problem...

Web Goddess

More
8 years 8 months ago #507940 by wandering free

pipjohnston55;514522 wrote:
Also (wandering free) ours is installed with a eco flue

Well there goes that idea, I thought I would get one for our fire whichever one we pick as it would allow me to install a smaller fire and use less wood.

More
8 years 8 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #507959 by Dangerman-77
Hi all, I have a Firenzo fire also. It has had its problems but it is running very well. I am fond of the beautiful design and well insulated firebox.

There are most definitely ways to solve the poor performance on all of these fires, it just takes some careful troubleshooting. Experimenting different solutions will help.

Make sure your Firenzo fire was installed with all the flue joins sealed with flue cement. This can make quite a difference on clean air fires since they are generally not as tolerant with a lack of draw. Keep the flue hot, as there will be weak draft from the flue with a low heat fire. Dry wood is vital! Some species burn better than others too.
:)
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Dangerman-77.

More
8 years 8 months ago #508123 by wandering free
I have yet to find a fire that doesn't occasionally blow back if the fire is running on low setting and the flame goes out, the gases off the wood will re-ignite a second or so later causing a stink in the room that most be bad for you, I have always wondered why they don't make the fireboxes with a collection chamber that would hold a volume of clean air as a buffer to fumes so they would be draw back into the fire and re-burnt.

More
8 years 8 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #508129 by Dangerman-77
Wandering Free..
The problem you are experiencing is due to the primary air intake being closed or set too low. This igniting of wood gases and 'blow back'can happen on any wood fire and is not a fault with the firebox nor is it a poor design. When fuel is put on a fire that is not hot, all that is created in the firebox is smoke and nasty gases. These eventually fill the firebox and ignite, this happens quickly and smoke will leave the fire box from anywhere it can, including any air intakes. Running the fire hotter will help.
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Dangerman-77.

More
8 years 8 months ago #508161 by tonybaker
you don't say what type of flue you have? This is the most important part of the fire!

All joints must be sealed tight otherwise there won't be much draw. You can expect a little bit of smoke if the fire has been run on low and you suddenly open the door. Sometimes if it is an overcast day you may get smoke when lighting the fire as the flue has not warmed up enough to create draw. In this case I throw in a bunch of newspaper to give it some warmth.

Check the flue and its joints, all should be sealed. Best flue is Spiralock made in Chch.

My fire is a Bosky running several radiators, installed in 1986 and still going strong despite being of simple construction - no firebricks or cast iron, except for the cook top.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
8 years 8 months ago #508165 by wandering free

Dangerman-77;514803 wrote: Wandering Free..

The modern clean air fires on the market now don't generally have this particular problem
Kind regards,
D.

Hi Dangerman Our 19 year old fire box never had the amount of insulation as the new ones and must burn cooler, the blow back only happens occasionally and just seems they could have done something to help adsorb some of it when it does.

I have put my order in for the fire and new type flue, got a shock when I checked to spec for the old Spectra fire 5.45g per kg about time we replaced it.

Thanks Bryan

More
8 years 8 months ago #508283 by Dangerman-77
What model did you choose to go with Bryan?

I'm sure you will be impressed with the performance over your older Kent fire. The current generation burners output as low as .3g/kg on some models. Also with such low emissions they are still over 65% efficient.

As Tony says, the flue is very important and make sure those joins are well sealed for best performance. Spiralock flue systems are a great choice.

More
8 years 8 months ago #508324 by wandering free

Dangerman-77;514971 wrote: What model did you choose to go with Bryan?

I'm sure you will be impressed with the performance over your older Kent fire. The current generation burners output as low as .3g/kg on some models. Also with such low emissions they are still over 65% efficient.

As Tony says, the flue is very important and make sure those joins are well sealed for best performance. Spiralock flue systems are a great choice.

Dangerman, what gets me is you have to have a registered installer, they said it didn't matter that I had worked as a maintenance engineer.

It's been an interesting discussion and well worth reading as the problems are not confined to the Firenzo contessa with some good ideas which we are incorporating.

We have gone with the Jayline SS200L it should be big enough to replace the Kent and is rated at 14kw, we're not installing a wet back and using the eco chimney and cowl that we hope will guide the smoke upwards and overcome the smoke rolling down the roof into the house, even does it with 6ft of flue above the roof line if the wind is from the West

Regards Bryan

More
8 years 8 months ago #508385 by LongRidge
Now that my attention has been brought to the problem, I have noticed that every time I open the fire box we get a puff of smoke. Sometimes the puff is bigger, and other times hardly noticable.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds