breeding pigs

More
7 years 1 month ago #39585 by oonasmith
breeding pigs was created by oonasmith
Hey,
I want to breed free range pigs - started off with 2 kune kune s as pets to learn more about them - loving it ! I have been following the guy on country calendar and read all his blogs - is anyone doing it that can advise how much land we need etc and how to begin (!) - we are in the waikato area...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #506321 by rider1803
Replied by rider1803 on topic breeding pigs
The amount of land you will need will depend on your intended numbers.
Some more details are required to be able to give you any information...
What are your intended purposes of the pigs? i.e selling as weaners, raising for meat etc, What breed do you intend to keep?
What is going to be your preferred set up? i.e out in paddocks or in pens?
Might want to check out the local convenants and bylaws too....some neighbours are not keen on pigs!
Where are you located?

Confirmed horse addict.

More
7 years 1 month ago #506338 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic breeding pigs
Think the major issue is a source of cheap feed, I note the guy on Cc got Brewers grain ....and had found scraps unreliable......pigs do eat a lot. The Berkshires I have just had home killed liked pea hay...if you have room for crops, peas may be an option.

More
7 years 1 month ago #506354 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic breeding pigs
I don't do pigs because they get too friendly, and are very difficult to keep behind fences. I suspect that free range piglets would need to be constantly in a cage .... thus defeating the free range idea.
The other potential problem with free range pigs is that their diseases are rather nasty for other animals. So when you want to sell your property you will be limited by who will want to buy pig fouled land.
Another problem is the legal requirement of having to cook human food waste that might have meat in it. Thus restaurant, supermarket or school food scraps must be cooked before feeding to the pigs.
As you are not permitted to sell meat unless you have a licensed meat processing plant with inspectors, you also have to consider how convenient is the nearest meat plant that can, and will, do pigs in the quantity of pigs you can supply. I would think that you would need to supply at least 300 pigs per week, every week, for a commercial meat operation to be interested in your project.
Thus the starting point is how big you need to be. Then where.
I planted walnuts without sorting this out, and am now getting a couple of hundred kilograms per year, which I can't sell so have to give away.
Ditto with the donkeys that I cannot sell for meat (we have 18 at the moment). They too are almost as friendly as pigs, so would be emotionally difficult to send off to the slaughterhouse :-((.

More
7 years 1 month ago #506357 by mudall
Replied by mudall on topic breeding pigs
Hi I breed free range pigs small scale on a small section of our land. The pigs only take up around 2.5 acres although I will be increasing this slightly this year. I run large blacks one boar and three sows and am currently raising 2 saddleback gilts to breed with and have purchased 2 Berkshire gilts for breeding. I've never had an issue with them escaping they stay behind electric fencing no problem in fact my boar is that big he could probably nearly step over it but never does!
I sell weaners at between 6-8 weeks for breeding and for meat so there never on the property to long so don't cause any pasture damage.
The question of feed is interesting and probably a big reason why fewer people do breed pigs. Personally I buy in most of my food but that's just my choice I don't have time to drive to supermarkets or bakery's everyday and you can get good deals if you go direct to the mills.

Anyway happy pig breeding there great animals

More
7 years 1 month ago #506444 by oonasmith
Replied by oonasmith on topic breeding pigs
thanks! a bit more info,,,,
we want to raise for meat -
the rare english breeds we were thinking of as they sound the best meat..
we want them to be free range in a paddock and sell totally free range...
we will buy some land in Waikato area - probably somewhere near Hamilton as we live in Gordonton,,,we only have half an acre at the mo with 2 tune tunes and some chooks- 2 goats (!) to try it out so we are aware of the pitfalls already.
thanks re the considering the neighbours as we had not considered that!!!
Cheers!

More
7 years 1 month ago #506445 by oonasmith
Replied by oonasmith on topic breeding pigs
thanks everyone all for your advice -
Absolutely brilliant... and makes me realise there is a lot to it with considering neighbours, inspectors, issues with diseases, land being ruined and all that goes with breeding pigs!!
Cheers :)

More
7 years 1 month ago #506446 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic breeding pigs
Meat for yourself is fine (at the moment), but you are not permitted to sell or trade meat that has not been killed and processed in a "proper" factory. You might be able to work alongside a commercial butcher to sell him your pigs, that he gets killed in a proper factory, and kept separate from the rest of the proper factories carcases.

More
7 years 1 month ago #506571 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic breeding pigs
www.soggybottom.co.nz/the-farm.html

this should be of interest to you then

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
7 years 1 month ago #506881 by symes
Replied by symes on topic breeding pigs
hiya i have a breeding pair of minature kunekunes sow and boar have been pets and breeding pair.she is pregnant again.im wanting to rehome them they are free to the best of homes if you are interested give me a ring hamilton 8476354

Time to create page: 0.245 seconds