It's all gone south...

More
7 years 2 months ago #39515 by audiox
Myself, my wife, our 2 young boys (3 and 1.5), 2 cats and a dog have just made the move from suburban Auckland to semi-rural Invercargill.

It's all just sinking in now just how different life will be.

We left a small, warm, fairly modern home on 1/4 acre to live in a large, cold very old house on 9 acres.

Typing it out and reading it makes it sound like a crazy idea, but somewhere deep inside I feel content, a little more at peace, a lot more connected to nature and very excited for what the future holds.

We have no real plan for what we want to use the land for, it would be nice to earn our living from it but Im not sure how realistic that is unless we discover gold or oil!

What I do know from our 2 and a bit weeks here is this:

1. No longer will I sit in traffic for up to 90 mins each way to work every day
2. My kids are going to grow up with cleaner air in their lungs, better food in the tummies and stronger values in their hearts.
3. A neighbour is far more than the guy you nod at over the fence.
4. People actually do what they say they will.
5. My waist will trim down without going to the gym.
6. Non Aucklanders don't hate Aucklanders - in fact if anything they pity them!
7. There is great satisfaction to be gained from cutting, splitting and stacking your own firewood.

Who knows what this chapter of our lives has in store for us. All I ask is that its a long one with a happy ending.

Thanks for reading

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #505565 by Trace
Replied by Trace on topic It's all gone south...
Good on you! We made the move South seven years ago now...best thing we've ever done. Expect to have a patch where you wonder what you've done, that's normal. Get out and get involved in your community, look after your community and it will help look after you. Oh and since your South....keep an eye out for the aurora, now that's magic :D

More
7 years 2 months ago #505566 by muri
Replied by muri on topic It's all gone south...
Escaping auckland is a great idea, the city is eating itself up with traffic and is a nightmare.
Our peaceful rural lifestyle has been punctuated with urban development springing up everywhere and no infrastructure to support it - public transport, schools etc.
In the last two years our highway has been turned into a rat race of pushy drivers, long queues and bad driving.
The end of the world in Invercargill does sound like a dramatic contrast, but there has to be a better way than what Auckland has on offer.
Good luck

More
7 years 2 months ago #505568 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic It's all gone south...
we escaped Auckland 6 mths ago..just south of Whangarei..i can totally agree with Muri..its not realy till you get out that you realise just how bad it is...

Muri..I was in Kumeu 2 weeks ago and I can not believe how much it has all changed in the 6 mths we have been gone... and what is happening in Huapai..what a nightmare...long gone is the lovely 'village' community

up here is like going back in time 40years...great neighbours, cute village hall with regular 'socials'...and no traffic jams!..

More
7 years 2 months ago #505569 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic It's all gone south...
Auckland to Invercargill! Now that IS a tree change!! Good luck with everything :) Whatever you decide to do with your land there is lots of sage advice to be found here.

Muri, we lived in Hobsonville before we went to Oz. Kite fishing and blocarting at Muriwai, Lunch in Kumeu, mountain biking at Woodhill ( well the boys did!) It was a great place to live. Shame to think it is being subsumed by suburbia [V]

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
7 years 2 months ago #505570 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic It's all gone south...
Hi Audiox - congratulations. Loved your 'learnings'. :-)

My two experiences of living and working in Invercargill were nothing less than wonderful and I would go back in a heartbeat. I'm sure you'll all be very happy. Lovely folk down there.

Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
7 years 2 months ago #505573 by HeidiLee
Replied by HeidiLee on topic It's all gone south...
Congratulations on the move! Well done.

We're hoping to move south soon too, just gotta get rid of two lifestyle blocks in Auckland first.

I HATE the commute to work, 90 minutes each way for us, hubby and I carpool but 15 hours a week dedicated to travelling is just plain silly. Just remind yourself of the Auckland traffic that you've left behind whenever you have doubts [;)]. I hope you and your family have a good first winter there and I look forward to seeing your updates :)

Heidi
8.5 acres | 2 horses | 1 dog | 18 chooks | peace & quiet | a big smile on my dial![:D]

More
7 years 2 months ago #505579 by igor
Replied by igor on topic It's all gone south...
Welcome aboard audiox. Mick Jagger is reputed to have described Invercargill as the arsehole of the world when the Rolling Stones toured there in their young days but I'd rather live there than Auckland. My advice is not to rush into anything until you have had few months or even a year to settle in and get a feel for local conditions. Make friends with some real farmers nearby. Their advice will usually be given freely and may save you from making some expensive mistakes. Just out of interest how far was your 90 minute commute? My 10 mile commute usually takes 10-12 minutes unless there is snow on the road.

More
7 years 2 months ago #505589 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic It's all gone south...
Good for you! :D The closest I have lived to Auckland is Hamilton, but day and weekend trips to Auckland always did my head in. Probably my least liked city in New Zealand, if I had to rank them...

A friend and her family packed up a few years ago and moved from Waikato to Invercargill itself. They love it. Two small kids and they reckon a much better place to settle.

I think it's its a great area - so if anyone down that way wants a critter-sitter anytime next year, let me know well in advance, would be keen to be based there for a few weeks at some stage and have a good look around [;)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
7 years 2 months ago #505753 by jross
Replied by jross on topic It's all gone south...
Good luck to you all...and yes, give it a few months and when that pesky "oh god what have we done" enters the head space, know that it will pass and get busy.

I will say though, after spending a month in Invercargill last April 14, I had 2 days of clear skies...days without rain where covered in cloud...locals say that was typical.

And I was surprised at how much property values had risen...guess that's due to a combination of downsizing life-stylers from up north and the STI School.

Time to create page: 0.259 seconds