10 into .25 WILL work!

More
7 years 2 months ago #39463 by lindee
Hi everyone,
I am meant to be posting this from our idyllic 10 acre block with the waterfall, stream, native bush corner, full orchard, country cottage, while watching the kunekune pigs, rawhiti goats and assorted chooks (ie The Dream).

Sadly, due to finances (lack of) and family commitments (excess of) we are, instead, on a quarter acre section in the great little town of Putaruru. On the plus side, we are walking distance to one of the best cheese shops (Over the Moon), one of the best butchers (Moos, Baas, & Oinks) and an awesome Indian restaurant (Great Flavours of India) - in fact everything is within walking distance! :)

So keeping with the positiveness, we are determined to fit our 10-acre lifestyle dream onto our 1/4 acre plot. We arrived with 2 dogs, 4 cats, and 8 chooks and have already established 12 fruit trees in the back yard with room and plans for more (espaliering isn't that difficult, is it?). The 'country cottage' is a 1927 house with 'potential', 'needs some tlc', 'handyman's dream' ........ yeah, you know the sort: undulating floors and dodgy weatherboards. :D When it rains hard we have a stream run through the property, when it rains really hard we have a waterfall in the hallway - so we have a few components of our dream lifestyle block.:p

Hoping to get a couple of rawhiti or similar smaller milking goats in due course, but in the meantime will be reading and learning as much as possible.
Nice to meet you all.
:)

It's not denial. I'm just selective about the reality I accept. ;)

One Bull Terrier/Greyhound X, one very full-on Huntaway X pup, four assorted felines, [strike]nine[/strike] thirteen assorted hens, two accidental roos, two adorable BaabeeDoll sheep.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #505104 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic 10 into .25 WILL work!
Ah I sense a kindred spirit, so very welcome :D

I'm in the same position for similar reasons. We have 2 choices. Do nothing and keep dreaming that "one day" it will happen (like when I win lotto) or accept this is the reality of our lives and make the best of it. A quarter acre is big enough to do a LOT if you accept the challenge. Look at Koanga gardens 200sqm urban garden design.
www.koanga.org.nz/knowledgebase/design-k...0-sq-m-urban-design/
I am researching urban farming, bio-intensive growing, high density fruit trees (Dave Wilson Backyard orchard culture), activated compost teas etc. so that I can hit the ground running ( selling up in Oz so expect to be in NZ by August ) when I finally get back to NZ. I too want chickens goats rabbits and bees.
In some ways its even more exciting doing it this way. Where is the fun in saying lets have goats and having a choice of paddocks available just like that. (OK that does sound like fun) We have to plan and tweak and design and rob Peter to pay Paul to just to make it a possibility.

Anyway, congratulations on your tiny lifestyle block and I am sure with your sense of humour you will make a go of it [^] :D
Keep us posted. I for one would love to hear what you are up to :)

PS I've been through Putaruru many times. I LOVE that cheese shop :p

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
7 years 2 months ago #505108 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic 10 into .25 WILL work!
Something I found recently that looks really interesting is Hugelkulture, Someone posted a Permies forum link and I found them on there.

Build mounds across the back lawn of old logs covered with dirt, themselves covered with you veges instead of in a nice neat vege garden. Once rotted down in a few years to a decade or so, just spread over the lawn and you have nice humus soil. add more dead trees and start again.

Hows a 1/4 acre of permaculture jungle sound? :P

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
7 years 2 months ago #505120 by lindee
Replied by lindee on topic 10 into .25 WILL work!
Brilliant! thank you Kiwi303 - hugelkultur is exactly what we need!
When we'd rolled back the carpet of convulvulus we discovered what the previous occupants had done with their rubbish [xx(] (maybe it was a hugeldump?)
We picked out the nasties; batteries, aerosol cans, plastics, beer bottles, etc and let the chooks go to town on the large pile of branches and wood. Was thinking we'd have to shift it but now that its enriched with chook poop we'll turn it into a raised garden. Too easy!

And Anakei, the Dave Wilson Backyard orchard site is excellent - it confirms what I've always thought - just because the label says '4m x 2m', it's not compulsory to let it grow that big! I want to try planting 2 pollinator-friendly plums close together and twist the trunks around each other - kinda jumbo bonsai. :p I've known about Koanga for years - visited the Koanga gardens many years ago, when Kay was up north of Auckland - but loads of ideas in that urban design garden they're doing.
I see you have Rotorua as location - is that where you are moving back to?

One Bull Terrier/Greyhound X, one very full-on Huntaway X pup, four assorted felines, [strike]nine[/strike] thirteen assorted hens, two accidental roos, two adorable BaabeeDoll sheep.

More
7 years 2 months ago #505122 by Anakei
Yes we have a little house and exactly 1126 sqm of garden - just down the road from you!

Lol Hugeldump to Hugelkultur - I like it :D

More
7 years 2 months ago #505812 by KiwiJams
Replied by KiwiJams on topic 10 into .25 WILL work!
Yes! we just bought 1/2 acre with a dingy little house.....but we get some of the dream! We move in tomorrow and I am so nervous as to what we might find and how we will adapt to semi-rural living (currently suburbians!)

More
7 years 2 months ago #505816 by lindee
Replied by lindee on topic 10 into .25 WILL work!
Sounds perfect! Dingy little houses are the best - doesn't matter what you do to them it'll most likely be an improvement!

I see you have a kunekune already. I used to breed kunekunes many years ago, they are really neat pets - our first one used to come inside and lie by the fire with the cats and dog curled up on and around her. She was the reason we moved from Pakurange highway to a couple of acres in Pukekohe - she needed friends, they are very sociable.

You, me and Anakei are all in the same general area of the country - we'll have to start a Small Block Big Dreams group.

Anyway, good luck with the move - you'll love it!

More
7 years 2 months ago #505821 by Anakei
Welcome Kiwijams :)
A whole 1/2 an acre to play with! Sounds good. I look forward to hearing your plans

lindee;512232 wrote:

You, me and Anakei are all in the same general area of the country - we'll have to start a Small Block Big Dreams group.

Anyway, good luck with the move - you'll love it!

I was thinking exactly the same thing - Tiny LSB, but your name is catchier :D

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds