wanting to learn

More
9 years 3 months ago #39456 by kaylareizy
wanting to learn was created by kaylareizy
hi everyone im not sure if this is the right place to post this but im sure i will be sent in the right direction. im posting this on behalf of a good friend of mine who is going to have a lifestyle block when he moves on from town i was wondering if there are any farmers in the immediate wanganui area who would consider letting him follow them on their farm or life style block and work with them free of charge a couple of days a week so that he may learn everything and anything that they are doing in preparation for his lifestyle block he is 26 and very hard working he wants to have sheep nd beef nd others so a sheep and beef farm is preferable but any help would be much appreciated

many thanks
kay from wanganui

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #504995 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic wanting to learn
We are in Halcombe. ...if you want to come over an have a look around, don't normally have a lot of work at this time of the year, running Wiltshire sheep and Galloway cattle, couple of pigs,
Have worked to make the place low input, minimal drenching, good fencing, yards and low stock rate....

More
9 years 3 months ago #505009 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic wanting to learn
I suggest that he goes around the near-by farmers and tells them that he is available for casual work at a good rate, if they give him detailed instruction on what to do. I've learnt to work in a wool shed this way, which I find is an absolutely awful job.
Mustering and weighing sheep is another job that takes a while to learn, and good tips can be picked up from real farmers about training dogs. Unfortunately The Manager refuses to talk to real farmers about training her dogs, because real farmers would suggest appropriate use of an electric collar to stop the unacceptable behaviours in her dogs.
Also he should ask at Farmlands and PGGWrightsons if they know of anyone that could use casual labour.

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds