Westie

More
8 years 11 months ago #39396 by MrsMoore
Westie was created by MrsMoore
Hi Everyone

I'm new to the LSB forum. I live in West Auckland.

We're (husband + 2 little people + our dog) on 10acres. We're on a mission to live the more sustainable, clean, healthy dream....we figure it's a long term project & doing it step by step. I am really loving the journey so far & enjoying learning new information & skills along the way!

So far, we're fattening beef (currently have 4x Dexters), have farm fresh eggs (7 hens & 1 baby Roo-Orpingtons). I recycled the brick floor from the dilapidated shed to build 6 small raised garden beds & we inherited a small, unloved & not particularly productive orchard with the property. I want to extend our orchard & plant all our non utilised / non grazed areas in trees & plants!

Things I'm keen to learn more about:
Plant propagation (plants are so expensive!).
Orchard care & maintenance (pruning).
Land, soil & pasture management.
Beef - breeds / options.
Other types of meat to raise for food.
Solar /wind power (off grid living).
Wet land planting.
Gardening & seed raising.

I'm not an full on earth mother, more of a wannabe idealist in training! Thank you all in advance for sharing your wealth of knowledge & experience with me!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #504491 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Westie
Is that you H?
You know where to come and get plants, can give you heaps of help on wetland planting if you want.
We are just looking into off grid as well so working through a process on that, wind power is a good one for Muriwai

More
8 years 11 months ago #504502 by MrsMoore
Replied by MrsMoore on topic Westie
It could be...depends who's stalking me?! J? F? R? Haha.

I'm hoping I might find all sorts of useful bits of information on this forum!

More
8 years 11 months ago #504504 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Westie
You will find heaps of useful info, its a great site.
We swapped cucumbers a while back and mine are still going great guns, just had some tonight!
Actually, I usually do organise small life style block seminars each year but it didnt happen last year so will have to get on to it for this year, usually in the spring.
Are you a member of the Kumeu Small Landowners as they have interesting things on from time to time

More
8 years 11 months ago #504507 by MrsMoore
Replied by MrsMoore on topic Westie
I'm not, but was thinking I should find out more about them!

You're definitely my plant purchasing go to!! Our wetland planting (around the pond & down the edges of the stream that runs through the paddocks to the rd) is on the 3-5yr plan at this stage.... purely due to $. Can't go it all at once! But I'm keen to at least be thinking about it / planning ahead. Some advice would be gratefully received!

Do you know a lot about pruning of fruit trees? We have peaches, nectarines, apples, citrus & I think a plum (?) that I need help with!

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds