back to the land

More
7 years 3 months ago #39384 by Remetis
back to the land was created by Remetis
Hi,
I had five acres with horses and cattle. The cattle were to keep the paddocks clean for the horses but I picked up the horse manure every day. Locals thought I was mad, walking around with my wheelbarrow and dog ambling along but the acreage wasn't big enough for several broodmares and young TB's being raised. From there I went back to Uni. got a new degree in Urban Geography and now am a consultant in economic development. I've been doing this for over 20 years, live in Auckland (I nearly wrote toxic Auckland but don't want to be rude) but will sell this year and move back onto the land. I'd rather be there than at the beach and, I need some paddocks for my horses, yep, still have them! Provincial NZ is really struggling and if anyone is interested, this is a topic I am very interested in. Lifestyle blocks have huge potential and can generate an income stream. I am running a one-day conference in Dannevirke April 14. www.provincialmatters.co.nz If anyone books and mentions LSB - LSB will get a donation of 5%. I agree with some of you commenting on the great work Kate has done and i'm happy to contribute. cheers Karen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #504313 by muri
Replied by muri on topic back to the land
Looks really interesting Remetis, good work.
Pity it is so far away but looks like it would be really interesting.
Isnt amazing how horses pull us back to the land, despite urban jobs etc

More
7 years 3 months ago #504316 by Remetis
Replied by Remetis on topic back to the land
Thanks Muri yes if the horse bug has bitten, there is no cure! ahhh just another addiction

More
7 years 3 months ago #504320 by belinda_h
Replied by belinda_h on topic back to the land
Looks a really interesting conference. Have you invited rural media? I've forwarded link to my editor for consideration - PM me if you need more details.

More
7 years 3 months ago #504327 by Remetis
Thanks for your interest. It is interesting that, there are many people engaged in economic development in NZ but getting them to the provinces is like pulling teeth. I'm interested in land use eg Brent Clothier has three examples of how to best use land in some areas. For example, NZ has an extremely varied topography. Tararua (Dannevirke) land use is high for growing Flax, Manuka (honey), Feijoas and Hazelnuts. Even if Lifestyleblockers grow say 2 acres of Feijoas or Hazelnuts on their little block, this would maximise that land and give back an income. I think we can maximise our land use and small blocks can work together to get capacity for financial return. - This is not easy i'm not saying it is, i'm just seeing if we can get better productivity.

More
7 years 3 months ago #504329 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic back to the land
Interesting ....but...why do small blocks have to have capacity for financial gain....I am in it for the lifestyle, and my lifestyle is getting away from the capitalistic requirement to make money........nor do I want the stress of trying to make money from my block...yes I could make a capital investment, build a couple of thousand square meters of tunnel house and grow a crop, worry and stress about making the mortgage payments, the wind blowing the houses down, the frost killing all the tender plants, staff , selling produce, meeting compliance costs of ACC, PAYE GST and all the other letters of the alphabet not having a holiday ..which your lifestyle is making money fair enough...but I could live in Auckalnd and spend 2 hour a day on the motorway as well
.....I just like the space, few animals to fill the freezer, a horse and a dog to keep me poor.....a few fruit trees, a garden no stress no worry ..friends and neighbours for a few drinks .....money isn't everything ....and being productive can be just doing nothing

More
7 years 3 months ago #504331 by Remetis
Hi kindajojo - sure you don't have to do anything at all - your block is yours of course. Everyone's own choice. Just as people who want to sell cattle or crops or puppies or eggs or whatever off their land - that's their choice.

More
7 years 3 months ago #504355 by igor
Replied by igor on topic back to the land
We must all remember that everything we grow on our land for our own use is something we do not have to purchase with money earned elsewhere.

More
7 years 3 months ago #504361 by kate
Replied by kate on topic back to the land
I wish I could attend but it's too soon after the Lifestyle Block Expo :(

Web Goddess

More
7 years 3 months ago #504389 by Remetis
Thanks for that Kate - yes it would have been great to have you there for your perspective. We have a couple of lifestyle blockers coming -. Just reading this website and seeing all the good stuff on here - the caring and sharing and good info. - I'll give a good discount to anyone who attends PM via this website. I think this website is amazing and very important. I'm happy to give profile to it at PM Kate if that suits you.

More
7 years 3 months ago #504396 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic back to the land
why are people obsessed with 'making money' from their block? I totally agree with kindajojo....Who wants the stress of uncertain weather, IRD, ACC, accountants etc.

People often think that cos they may be able to claim back GST, they are winning - well it ain't true. You can't beat a steady job in town!

Having said all that, of course you can grow a lot of stuff and minimise your expenditure.

I think the main joy of owning a bit of dirt is being able to indulge your whims and run a few animals for the freezer and grow heaps of veges to give away!

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
7 years 3 months ago #504406 by cook2l
Replied by cook2l on topic back to the land
well said kindajojo..... the clue is in the title.... 'lifestyle' - chillax and shake off the toxic city thing. We're still settling into ours but once we start pottering on our paddock we can add some home grown veggies to the list of benefits of our stress free life, maybe some moments scratching pigs behind the ears too, when not playing with the dogs.

Quite right - the choice is yours but don't lose sight of the option to relax. How does it go - 'work to live, don't live to work' [;)]

CookieL [:I]

More
7 years 3 months ago #504417 by belinda_h
Replied by belinda_h on topic back to the land
Why do we want to make money from our blocks? Maybe because there are still bills to be paid, which means either taking a job elsewhere, or making an income from the land we own. I enjoy my job (most days) but still, if I could find a way to generate enough income to pay the bills and have a life (eg occasional travel, concerts, books etc) I would be even happier. And if I could do that in a way that contributed to the wider local economy, eg by getting to the point where I could give someone else a paying job so they could pay their bills too, that would be even better.

More
7 years 3 months ago #504695 by Remetis

belinda_h;510675 wrote: Why do we want to make money from our blocks? Maybe because there are still bills to be paid, which means either taking a job elsewhere, or making an income from the land we own. I enjoy my job (most days) but still, if I could find a way to generate enough income to pay the bills and have a life (eg occasional travel, concerts, books etc) I would be even happier. And if I could do that in a way that contributed to the wider local economy, eg by getting to the point where I could give someone else a paying job so they could pay their bills too, that would be even better.

Yes I too need to earn to live and pay the telephone bill, rates etc. I guess if you don't need to earn you are very fortunate. I haven't reached that stage. One of the things I am interested in too is New Zealand's economy and jobs for Kiwis. NZ could and can produce food in particular which is clean and green - organic. As we build more roads and more and more farmland gets put into lifestyle blocks, we have less land to produce food, particularly if that land is used for nothing. So the idea of productivity doesn't necessarily equate with greed - earning money to accumulate it - some of us need to work and have an income stream and i'm not apologising for that! Most of us do.

More
7 years 3 months ago #504718 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic back to the land
Where I see the value of LSB's is in providing people with a chance to interact with rural environment...friends and family can come and meet the tame animals. They become a refuge for animals that....Well let's face it are not purely monetarily economic....donkeys, rare breed animals, most horses, llama's, various birds etc...all these animals are valuable but not necessarily on a strictly $$$$ basis.
They give kids and their friends space to play .....everything from trees to climb to paddocks to learn to drive in and ride dirt bikes and horses, target shooting...........which as said are fast disappearing in city area's. You can't put a price on raising children who are involved in the outdoors rather than those who grew up in front of a TV or computer screen.
Some people plant rare trees apples like monty's surprise which have valuable genetics but will probably not become a commercial crop.....
So many people are focuse on money these days, there are other values which are more important.

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds