Help!!!! Goat choked!!

More
9 years 3 months ago #502896 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Help!!!! Goat choked!!
For the copper levels, when I liver tested some lambs after giving them far too much mineralised drench (as used to be advocated before it was known that over-drenching is pointless), the analysis showed that even then the lambs only had "average" liver copper. Now that I drench much less then I suspect that the levels will be lower.
So, note to self ... next time I homekill a goat, save a liver sample to get a test done.
With the vaxing, I do 5-in-1 if they are going to kid.
I also do Campyvax and Toxovax if they are going to be mated. We had an abortion storm one year which looked very much like Toxo, and also had some abortions of some pregnant does that we bought that had not been done. A few years ago MSD Agvet did a nationwide survey (except for West Coast, South Island) of sheep to establish the extent of both Toxo and Campy. We had both in our sheep. Because of the survey, MSD Agvet are very confident that Toxo is everywhere and Campy is nearly everywhere. Neither Toxo nor Campy are a problem if the ewe or doe is not pregnant or trying to get pregnant. But if they catch either when they are pregnant it almost always causes abortions, and a very sick mother.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #502969 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Help!!!! Goat choked!!
One of the things you can do for your goats is to make a 1% copper sulphate solution. Dissolve 1 tsp CuSO4 in 1 litre of boiling water (it won't dissolve as well otherwise). Drench the goats you suspect as having copper deficiency with 10ml/day for 7 days. Then skip 7 days, and repeat the daily drenching, except at 5ml/day. By now, unless they are severely deficient, they will show signs of improvement. Glossier coat, better appetite, lower FECs, they'll even move better, as extreme copper deficiency makes goats walk like they're on thin ice and it's about to crack..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds