quick intro - new to NZ

More
9 years 2 months ago #501498 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic quick intro - new to NZ

Anakei;507377 wrote: I think you have a lot to be proud of, Blueberry [^]

thanks, Anakei - i am[:I][^][:I]

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #501507 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic quick intro - new to NZ
Blueberry, bisons are too boisterous to be safe. I have taken them off my list and put on crocodiles and hec (sp??) cattle, from which I'm going to breed aurocs.

More
9 years 2 months ago #501512 by Blueberry
:D :D [8D] - good luck with that :D :D

[;)] Blueberry

More
9 years 2 months ago #501577 by cook2l
Replied by cook2l on topic quick intro - new to NZ
Hi Bees.....am relatively new to this lifestyle thing myself but the one thing that I have learned already is to be patient and open to new thoughts/revelations which will come with spending a bit of time in your new spot. We had ideas of what we would do with our paddock once the home renovations are done but, a few months on, we have a better understanding of what is readily available locally eg produce (and camping!) also what is difficult to buy locally.... plus of the climate all of which will have a bearing on our final decision. What is also obvious now is that, even with only one paddock, our time is going to be well and truly taken up so maybe don't make too grand plans initially at least. We came from the city, with full on jobs and learning to relax has been a biggie, adjusting to the 'lifestyle' but we're getting the hang of it now. Enjoy! - Quite the adjustment but well worth it [^]

CookieL [:I]

More
9 years 2 months ago #501941 by mc2631
Replied by mc2631 on topic quick intro - new to NZ
How then did I buy 10 + hectares as an overseas buyer without any problems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More
9 years 2 months ago #501942 by mc2631
My point is there seems to be a lot of you can't do this or there will be problems with that when the truth is to set up a lifestyle block all you need is time, supplement income and passion. The rest easily falls into place.

More
9 years 2 months ago #501944 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic quick intro - new to NZ
mc263 1

How then did I buy 10 + hectares as an overseas buyer without any problems?

You are an overseas person if you are neither a New Zealand citizen, nor ordinarily resident in New Zealand.
As you are living here you presumably have a residence visa and are therefore not an overseas person.
The original correspondent, Bees, said they were coming on a "parent visa" I'm unclear if this qualifies as a residence visa, but if it does, there is no restriction on purchase of property.

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
9 years 2 months ago #501969 by Blueberry

mc2631;507882 wrote: My point is there seems to be a lot of you can't do this or there will be problems with that when the truth is to set up a lifestyle block all you need is time, supplement income and passion. The rest easily falls into place.

yeah, well, about that falling into place thingy.. [B)][8D][}:)]....

anyhow, Bee was also asking if a full- or part time income could be generated through a lifestyle block. As you point out yourself in your post, a supplement income is needed in most cases - so that's be a 'not really'?

[;)] Blueberry

More
9 years 2 months ago #501995 by Anakei
Blueberry

yeah, well, about that falling into place thingy.. ...

Lol Well in my vast experience of life things tend to fall OUT of place more than into place............... :D

More
9 years 2 months ago #502750 by mc2631
Not true was an Australian resident and citizen at the time

More
9 years 2 months ago #502751 by mc2631
A supplement income I think works for starting up rather than loaning money

More
9 years 2 months ago #502754 by Anakei
Australians are granted residency at the airport. Ergo you are a resident not an overseas person

More
9 years 2 months ago #502766 by mc2631
So then we should note that there is no problem for Australians to buy in nz? Even though I bought it before getting off the plane?

More
9 years 2 months ago #502782 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic quick intro - new to NZ
Whether you need to apply for consent to buy land depends on who you are, where you are, where the land is, and how big it is.
"For example, five hectares of farm land is considered sensitive land, but three hectares of the same land is not." Hence LR's comment about 5 hectares.
From: www.linz.govt.nz/regulatory/overseas-inv...stors/sensitive-land

For fun(!) you can follow this flow chart to see whether an "overseas person" might need permission to buy a piece of land. www.linz.govt.nz/regulatory/overseas-inv...sensitive-land#Annex

This legislation dates from 2005, but I don't know what was law before it came about.

More
9 years 1 month ago #503114 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic quick intro - new to NZ
please, please don't try to make money from a lifestyle block! Even experienced 'real' farmers are just scraping by.
By all means grow as much stuff so you can reduce your cost of living, but the best income is from a cushy job in town!
Once you get involved with tax and GST, all the pleasure is gone from the block.
You can make pocket money by leasing a bit for grazing, I did this and got free meat from the butcher.
I am an immigrant too, and have never heard of any restrictions on owning land?
As far as the immigration process is concerned, it is fairly easy to check this out on INZ website, but be warned, it's not easy and it's not quick!!!

Good luck and welcome to the forum

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds