Hi

More
7 years 5 months ago #38984 by stevehanson
Hi was created by stevehanson
Hi am new to this site,have been reading the mag for a while now and am ready to get a lifestyle block but prices around new Plymouth are a bit steep.Is it possible to have a lifestyle out of 1 acre.
Cheers

Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #500655 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Hi
Welcome to the site [;)]

I reckon you can have a lifestyle out of any size property, including a quarter acre in town...but depends what sort of lifestyle you are after. I guess it depends on what you can see yourself doing differently from where you are now...?

Not much help, I know, but I have seen folk in town with a productive section that feeds them without buying much produce in (vegetarians) and I have also seen folk on much larger blocks who don't grow any of their own stuff and just enjoy the space around them. Everyone seems to have a different idea of what their ideal lifestyle and lifestyle block is :rolleyes:

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
7 years 5 months ago #500671 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic Hi
Welcome Steve

I would kill to have an acre!

You can put off the good life, or accept that you are not there yet and make the best of what you do have. Google urban farming and research biointensive growing and you will be amazed at what people manage to grow and produce on small blocks. Also look at Koanga Institute 200 sq m urban design www.koanga.org.nz/knowledgebase/design-k...0-sq-m-urban-design/

My little cottage is on 1000 sq m - a classic quarter acre. I will move there this year and I am planning on fruit trees, a large vegetable and herb garden, rabbits, chickens and goats. I also have nefarious plans to stealth plant the berm outside the house with fodder trees and other productive hedgerow plants. I will also utilise the country lane the house is on to cut and carry fodder. (I will be the peasant with the bundle of twigs on her head!!) Due to life events I have to accept I will never have a LSB again but I intend to enjoy what I have. So if you think outside the 2 paddocks and a shed square, an acre will be plenty

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
7 years 5 months ago #500723 by stevehanson
Replied by stevehanson on topic Hi
Thanks for the welcome and I think a bit more research is required

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds