Greetings! Tryig out Quail farming

More
7 years 7 months ago #38779 by gesiika
Hello! My name is Jessica, and I am so happy I discovered this place. My husband and I have decided after much deliberation we want to get into lifestyle farming, more specifically, Japanese Quail farming for eggs.

We want to start out small, just enough eggs for our family, but if we find we enjoy them, we hope to expand further. :)

We are in Christchurch, and have a 1 yr old son who we want to have a healthy exposure to animals and chores appropriate for his age (such as feeding the birds each day), so we feel this is a win-win all around.

Our landlord has given permission for the Quail, so we are setting up a hutch for them now and will be getting the hens in about a week.

Any helps, tips, or hints are appreciated. Right now I am trying to locate a place to purchase game bird feed appropriate for Japanese quail.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #498645 by igor
Welcome aboard and good luck to you.
Why quail? Are the eggs not very small like the birds? It'd take a lot of them to make a sponge cake. Is there an opportunity to sell them at a premium price to the multitudinous Asians in Chch?

More
7 years 7 months ago #498650 by spoook
Welcome Gesiika,what would you like to know about Japanese quail? I may be able to help you.
I have many of them, mainly as aviary cleaners. They are all producing eggs very well, more than we can use.

Igor, the eggs from japanese quail are meant to be more healthy than chicken eggs. Have a read through here.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
7 years 7 months ago #498653 by Sue
Welcome Gesiika, spook will be a mine of information for you!

Have you tried sourcing Meat bird crumbles, they suggest they are suitable for gamebirds and it should be available where other poultry feed is sold. www.nrm.co.nz/uploads/pdf/NRM_Meatbird_Crumble.pdf

There is quite a lot of specific information on quail feeding on line, but be aware that much of it is overseas info. and some products ingredients might not be available here.
You will need a different feed for laying birds and growing birds.
Here is a pretty comprehensive list of their requirements
msucares.com/pubs/publications/p2383.htm

Check out this NZ site on tips for feeding.
www.greenurbanliving.co.nz/keeping-japanese-quail/

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
7 years 7 months ago #498657 by muri
I got my Quail from spook, unfortunately vermin were their demise.
For their size, they are huge eaters but they do produce an egg a day, and for a good part of the year.
Around here eggs sell for $1 each and yes they are much healthier and better for you than chickens eggs.
They are also quiet birds and easily managed but they drop their eggs anywhere so you need to be able to access the whole of their run easily

More
7 years 7 months ago #498710 by samonia
Hello form me my name is Simona, I'm happy to be here!

More
7 years 7 months ago #498711 by bevhawkins
I have a lot of Japanese Quail roaming free over property and since our neighbour left lots of pheasants too. (He used to shoot them)

More
7 years 7 months ago #498800 by Andrea1
We used to raise Japanese Quail when we were living in the US, when our son was diagnosed with all kinds of food allergies. He was seriously allergic to chook eggs, duck eggs were hard to come by and very expensive, and quail were easy to keep in a suburban back garden. You need to make sure the cage/enclosure is quite tall and covered, of course. Their fright instinct make them fly straight up and they'll crash into the roof if it's not tall enough. From memory, ours was about 8 feet tall. Great little egg layers, and DH was fond of going round telling people that he ate 8 eggs for breakfast! For their size, they lay BIG eggs!

More
7 years 7 months ago #498805 by spoook
Bev, are your quail Japanese or Californian? I would love some of mine to free range but I know/ am sure I would never see them again.[;)]

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds