Well Hello There

More
7 years 7 months ago #38702 by ChantelleW
Well Hello There was created by ChantelleW
First, let me apologise. I have been lurking on this site for many years while I was stuck in Sydney trying to find a job back home in NZ. I have been fascinated, amused, bemused, entertained and above all, educated and inspired by the articles, posts and stories here, so thank you to all who have posted on the site.

I was always my dream to get back home, and find a lifestyle block, and it took a long time (over 7 years) to make it happen.

So anyways, I finally got made redundant, got a biggish payout, came home, found an OK job, and bought a block, and moved in today.

So, up at 6am to load the truck. The bank, lawyer and real estate agent called while I was driving down from Dargaville, settlement went through, and I'm in! It's 10.30 pm now, after a hectic day, basics are unpacked (I can cook dinner and make a coffee), have had a dip in the spa bath (wont happen often on tank water) with candles and a nice bottle of Lindauer Summer, jamies are on, and I thought it was way past time I introduced myself.

I am Chantelle, I work in Auckland, but now live 5 minutes out of Huntly (65 minute commute) on a 2.5 acre (2 effective, but can turn some lawn into pasture) block with a nice 2 beddy, 2 bathroom house and an awesome orchard.

My priorities are getting in a big veggie garden, getting some stock on to eat the grass, and getting to know the neighbours.

I don't expect to make money out of a hectare, but I do hope to save money on food costs, and a huge plus for me is knowing where my food comes from, what goes into it, and how it's been treated (irradiated, stored in inert gas for 2 years, etc).

Oh, also, I can finally get my 30 litre pot still up and running :D

3.75 Acres, Dexter Cows, pigs, chickens, winery, restaurant, B&B. Just trying to make a living and a lifestyle!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #497919 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Well Hello There
Welcome Chantelle - wow, what a special day, huh? You must be stoked at having your long-term dream realised. Congratulations!! :D Look forward to hearing more about how you develop your place in the future. What do you have in your orchard?
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
7 years 7 months ago #497921 by ChantelleW
Replied by ChantelleW on topic Well Hello There
Thanks Mitch

So far I have identified Plums, Persimmons, Loquat, Avocados, Passionfruit, lemons, organges and some other citrus. I might have to wait for everything to ripen before I work it all out!

3.75 Acres, Dexter Cows, pigs, chickens, winery, restaurant, B&B. Just trying to make a living and a lifestyle!

More
7 years 7 months ago #497923 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Well Hello There
Welcome to LSB membership! :D

More
7 years 7 months ago #497924 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Well Hello There
What a wonderful bonus having all those trees already there and fruiting. I'm sure you'll have a very happy and satisfying time putting in your vege garden. Don't forget ... we like pictures on this site... :D :D
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
7 years 7 months ago #497936 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic Well Hello There
Hi and welcome officially no longer a lurker 'Chantelle'. You obviously have a passion, and I too look forward to photos and more news. Only been 'at it' 2 years myself.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
7 years 7 months ago #498022 by Camelotwenz
Replied by Camelotwenz on topic Well Hello There
Welcome home Chantelle! I lived in the Huntly area for 5 years before moving here. The climate is good for growing fruit (when the trees are sheltered from the relentless spring winds!) we also had a great vege garden. I'm sure you will enjoy your lifestyle change.
All the best....
Wenz

More
7 years 7 months ago #498105 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Well Hello There
Welcome...we live not too far from you too :) for now that is:confused: ...I think we are gypsies at heart tho' ...we seem to move around alot[;)]

Huntly is a lovely area :D
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds