New to lsb

More
9 years 3 months ago #38695 by Anakei
New to lsb was created by Anakei
Hi All

I have been lurking around here for some time and now I have joined I thought I had better say hello.
I have been following The Engineer around the world for 30 years, starting in UK, the South Africa, Germany, back to South Africa, NZ and now Australia. Now the last chick has left the nest (3 boys) I have put my foot down and said now we are going to live where I want to live, so back to NZ we are coming.
We have a small cottage in a large garden in Ngongotaha just outside Rotorua, so its a bit of a stretch to call it a lifestyle block, but the information and interests here are still relevant to me ( except cows....)
My interests are
Vegetable growing, especially open pollinated and now landrace vegetables
Keeping chooks, rabbits and goats for eggs, milk and meat
Preserving, fermenting, Kefir, cheese making, home brewing (especially cider)
Bee keeping - something I haven't tried before
And generally living a more organic, sustainable, clean eating life.

I am really looking forward to being part of this community - such a wealth of knowledge thatyou are so willing to share.

We hope to be back in NZ by mid 2015 so I will see you then

Now back to lurking :)

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #497858 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic New to lsb
Hi and welcome Anakei. What an interesting time you will have had. I wish you all the best in your dreams when getting back here, this place certainly helps. Bees are great!

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
9 years 3 months ago #497860 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic New to lsb

Anakei;503355 wrote: ...the information and interests here are still relevant to me ( except cows....)...

Whats WRONG with you?!!!!! :D [}:)]:D

Welcome to LSB! :)

More
9 years 3 months ago #497863 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic New to lsb
Welcome.
Rabbits for milking and goats for meat seems rather ambitious :-). We had rabbits for a few years, but the darned things kept digging their way out. We now have pretty black, golden and orange wild bunnies running around. It was a huge job keeping them out of the vege garden (a long-handled fishing net was essential), and they ate, and ate, and ate .....

More
9 years 3 months ago #497864 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic New to lsb

Anakei;503355 wrote:
Keeping chooks, rabbits and goats for eggs, milk and meat
:)

Rabbit's eggs will be good for the Easter Bunny, but chook milk!? :D [}:)]

Welcome to the LSB. Look forward to hearing more about your enterprise.
When we were Urban dwelling, we kept chooks, orchard, green houses and big vegetable garden on 1/3 acre. You can live a decent lifestyle on small packages of land.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 3 months ago #497865 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic New to lsb
Thanks everybody :)

Yup Longridge, I'm gonna milk them rabbits hard (sound of banjos playing....)

Ruth, the cow thing is more from a space issue! I'm only dissing them because I secretly want one!! :D

More
9 years 3 months ago #497867 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic New to lsb

Anakei;503366 wrote: ...Ruth, the cow thing is more from a space issue! I'm only dissing them because I secretly want one!! :D

Well, that's alright then. [}:)] :D

More
8 years 7 months ago #509824 by Anakei
Well I'm finally here! Suffering from jetlag and FREEZING cold but raring to go.

We have just had a few weeks in UK seeing the family and (hence the jetlag) and arrived in Rotorua on Friday. We are madly decorating the house before the furniture arrives so the garden is on the back burner for now. The tenants looked after the house well but the garden has run amok so there will be a lot of slashing and digging for the summer.
The first thing we are going to do is get a couple of raised beds in so I can start spring planting, and after that it will be one project at a time, with the chook house being the next priority. Then there's the rabbits, the goats, the greenhouse, the fodder system ........where to start!

Looking forward to more chats and excellent information from you all :)

More
8 years 7 months ago #509827 by lindee
Replied by lindee on topic New to lsb
Welcome home! Sounds like you'll be so busy you'll keep warm and not even notice the cold. :D

We decided we didn't have enough cold draughty holes in our house so started pulling up random floorboards that were showing signs of rot. :rolleyes:

It's not denial. I'm just selective about the reality I accept. ;)

One Bull Terrier/Greyhound X, one very full-on Huntaway X pup, four assorted felines, [strike]nine[/strike] thirteen assorted hens, two accidental roos, two adorable BaabeeDoll sheep.

More
8 years 7 months ago #509863 by Anakei

lindee;516680 wrote: Welcome home! Sounds like you'll be so busy you'll keep warm and not even notice the cold. :D

We decided we didn't have enough cold draughty holes in our house so started pulling up random floorboards that were showing signs of rot. :rolleyes:

And of course the middle of winter is the best time to do that :D

More
8 years 7 months ago #509870 by lindee
Replied by lindee on topic New to lsb
Of course! Haha, why do things the sensible way? :p

Meant to be installing a woodburner (2 months ago), but one step forward, 3 steps back. Want the Scandia Heat’n’Cook woodburner/oven/cooktop – not on the council approved list, council haven’t said no but do want some specs before they say yes. It is huge and won’t fit where we were going to put a fire so need to prepare option 2 area, where the floor slopes, so while crawling around under the house looking at the piles we found some of the floorboards are rotten …… loads of fun! (I love demolition!) :D

It's not denial. I'm just selective about the reality I accept. ;)

One Bull Terrier/Greyhound X, one very full-on Huntaway X pup, four assorted felines, [strike]nine[/strike] thirteen assorted hens, two accidental roos, two adorable BaabeeDoll sheep.

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds