Wet and windy Waikato

More
7 years 7 months ago #38626 by GiggiGoofer
Hi everyone,
I'm on 3.5 acres in the north Waikato area. Currently grazing Jersey cows for a local farmer, and growing chickens and potatoes. Nice to be here!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #497315 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Wet and windy Waikato
Welcome ...great place here :D where about in the Waikato are you ??? Enjoy

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
7 years 7 months ago #497316 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Wet and windy Waikato
Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

What variety/ies of potatoes?

More
6 years 1 week ago #522802 by GiggiGoofer
Replied by GiggiGoofer on topic Wet and windy Waikato
Good lord, I just came back here to check out Pet Goats and realised I registered 2 years ago!! I'm in North Waikato, about 35 minutes out of Hamilton on the Ohinewai/Tahuna road.

We've expanded our menagerie to include 3 cats, 9 chickens, 1 bantam rooster (who really needs a new home), half a dozen Muscovy ducks. We also just adopted a 9 day old billy goat to keep as a pet.

More
6 years 1 week ago #522812 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Wet and windy Waikato
Time flies when you're having fun! Welcome back :cheer:

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
6 years 1 week ago - 6 years 6 days ago #522878 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Wet and windy Waikato
I know that you will neuter the goat kid at some time, because pet male animals get to be very dangerous. But with goats do not do it before weaning and preferably later because they are more prone to getting calculi than other male animals. This is a blockage of crystallised something in the urinary tract, which is very painful and kills them very quickly.
Also, never let him jump up onto you. It is cute when they are young, but dangerous when they get to be adults. I once had an encounter with a goat that had not had this trained out of him at a young age :(
Another disturbing problem with goat kids is that most of them sound like a howling baby. So if you have a baby you may not be able to tell the difference :( . But if a crying baby noise won't worry you much, you will get to learn the different noises a goat makes :)
Last edit: 6 years 6 days ago by LongRidge.

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds