Native Plants

More
7 years 8 months ago #38525 by Keen Native
Native Plants was created by Keen Native
Hi im keen to try and grow some native plants/trees from seed. needed a hobby to keep my mind occupied fingers busy. 4 weeks today!! I have been smoke free. Never planted anything before any ideas on some easy native to grow :confused: :D :confused:. Do have packet cabbage Tree seeds sponsored by Fonterra to start me off..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #496327 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Native Plants
Welcome Keen Native, if you put your name down for the seed box there are plenty of native seeds in there. Should give you a good start.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
7 years 8 months ago #496328 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Native Plants
What part of the country are you in? It makes a difference to what you might grow. Welcome. :)

More
7 years 8 months ago #496333 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Native Plants
Some natives, like lace bark, (houhere) five finger, (Whauwhaupaku, or cabbage trees and Rengarenga are very easy to grow from seed, but, many natives are difficult to transplant, so if you are planning on growing to sell, do some homework first on the ones to avoid, and of course those types which will grow in your area.

Also try to avoid natives that are poisonous. here is a link containing some of those and some popular garden plants that are toxic. www.terrain.net.nz/friends-of-te-henui-g...if-eaten-by-man.html

Oh, and welcome to the LSB

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
7 years 8 months ago #496335 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Native Plants
Also easy are flax - phormium tenax.,tea tree,karaka,puriri if you are frost free and learning to collect your own seeds means you can follow the whole process from start to finish.
This is probably not a good time to collect seed but later in the summer you would have more luck

More
7 years 8 months ago #496340 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Native Plants
Not all seeds germinate easily everywhere. I, with hillsides of self-generating Kanuka and Totara, know people who've bought seedlings because they don't grow naturally where they are. And some of them aren't outside my own region, just have different local conditions.

More
7 years 8 months ago #496341 by RichardW
Replied by RichardW on topic Native Plants
Cabbage tree seed need stratification,6 weeks in the fridge on a plate with damp paper on top covered in Gladwrap will do it.

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

Inventor of Watson multishears www.watsonmultishears.co.nz

More
7 years 8 months ago #496347 by Steve366
Replied by Steve366 on topic Native Plants
My Daughter and I have grown a few Kowhai, we had to learn that putting a nick in the seed helps let the water in for germination!! but seed pods are plentiful!

More
7 years 8 months ago #496381 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Native Plants
Some studies have shown that if you are trying to establish manuka and kanuka in areas which do not have any existing plants of that type, it can help to innoculate your soil with soil from established stands, preferably those with similar soil to yours. This can establish a population of the fungi with which the manuka and kanuka form a beneficial relationship, giving them a better chance of doing well.
It has worked better for manuka than kanuka in trials, but is easy to do and worth trying. Just collect some moist humus from the surface and down to 50mm in an area where the kanuka or manuka are abundant and doing well, and plant this along with your seedlings or seeds.

More
7 years 8 months ago #496428 by loopi
Replied by loopi on topic Native Plants
Hi Keen Native, i agree that the best native to try to go from seed are ones that are from your area ... they are likely to suit your local conditions and are a free source of seed. A great reference book to start with would be 'Going Native' edited by Ian Spellerberg and David Given, should be in your local library (other books too e.g. by Lawrie Metcalf and Geoff Bryant).

Seed collecting - buy some if you want to start immediately because it might be a bit early for many species - some seed hang around on the plants for a couple of years - eg kowhai, manuka. Otherwise, collect fruit eg coprosma, totara etc directly from the tree/shrub or from the ground if they are too high to reach. 'Dry' seed such as grasses, manuka, akeake, oleria, hebes (anything that's not in a fruit or berry) needs to be collected before it all blows away.

Seed cleaning - clean all the pulp off 'wet' seed as best you can (soak it for a few days then rub it through a suitable sieve. Dry seed - rub through a sieve and/or blow as much of the dry matter away as possible, some is in capsules such as manuka & kanuka - they will open eventually or you can thrash them or smash them with a hammer.

Breaking dormancy -usually create a false winter by storing the seed for a few months in the fridge (in a slightly damp medium such as peat for 'wet' seed). Many can be sown directly 'fresh' such as coprosma if there is little danger of frosts.

Sowing - sow in seed trays from july on -almost all native seed does best in a mineral soil such as clean river sand (avoids rotting and damping off). Water well after sowing - mist spray is best, and keep moist but not saturated/wet, with a bottle mister.

Pricking out/potting up - once the seedlings have got at least 2 true leaves and you can grab a hold of them, gently dig them out of the seed tray with a pointed tool such as a big nail and transplant them into a small pot (be careful not to tear the roots but roots can be trimmed with a sharp pair of snips to fit the pot- trees and shrubs do best in a deep pot about 3-4 times deeper than wide and water well (makes for good root growth).

Plant out - when they are bigger! - before they get too root bound & usually when they are at least about 300mm tall depending on species and the planting site (bigger is better if conditions are tough).

Good luck and enjoy - part of the fun is getting out and finding plants in flower (now??) to collect seed from!

More
7 years 8 months ago #496429 by Belle Bosse
Replied by Belle Bosse on topic Native Plants
Congratulations on being 4 weeks smoke free!

www.nzseeds.co.nz/

You should be able to find something of interest there, both exotic and native.

More
7 years 8 months ago #496488 by Keen Native
Replied by Keen Native on topic Native Plants
Hi im in the King Country area.

Time to create page: 0.296 seconds