Another newbie

More
7 years 8 months ago #38450 by MsK
Another newbie was created by MsK
Hi all. I'm Mia and my partner and I have been living on our lifestyle block for nearly two years. Along the way, a lot of the best advice I have had has come from all of you wonderfully knowledgeable people! I finally got around to signing up properly!

We have 7 acres on the Tararua Rangers just out of Palmy and love the lifestyle. We have four kids (between 6-15 years). We've just had our first four lambs (yet to be named) from our three mama sheep (Milo, Vanilla and Bossy) and have also adopted another one that needed a home. We have two one-year old Hereford steers (Harry and Moo) and six chooks. We've had two pairs of piglets and have had some interesting adventures with them, but they were worth it as the meat was amazing both times. We'll be getting out next pair to fatten up over summer. Between the animals , my vege gardens and the projects we are doing around the place, we keep busy!

This week we have dealt with our first (and hopefully only) bearing in one of our ewes and are feeling like almost proper farmers! Thanks to the fab advice through lsb, she seems to be doing well- fingers crossed! She'll be the first to go in the freezer once her buba is weaned!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #495648 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic Another newbie
Hi and an official welcome Mia. I find this place extremely helpful too. And there are some wonderful members. Only 6 chooks [;)] not addicted then. Good oh. :D how do your kids like the lifestyle. They will be loving the lambs. I could say I haven't had a ewe with bearing issues yet, but that would be tempting fate. So I won't. See you around. :)

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
7 years 8 months ago #495665 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Another newbie
If the bearing has happened after lambing then most definitely Stuart, or even Stewart. If it happened before lambing and hasn't come out since I personally would give her another chance, but keep a very close watch next pregnancy.

More
7 years 8 months ago #495671 by MsK
Replied by MsK on topic Another newbie
Deanna, I'm not addicted to chooks... But they are part of the family and I love them. The kids love the lifestyle and especially the animals.

We inherited the old ewe (not certain of age, but she is old) and she seemed to struggle towards the end of pregnancy with sore feet and legs. Plus she rejected one of her lambs so all up she's not a keeper!

More
7 years 8 months ago #495711 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Another newbie
Have you been informed how to age sheep from their teeth? If not, ask on Your Place forum. Goats, cattle and horses can also be aged by teeth.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds