Not so new newbie

More
7 years 8 months ago #38414 by 611FR
Not so new newbie was created by 611FR
I would like to say a big thank you to this forum.
City girl gone country in 2009....
We have gained so much valuable information from this site. Inititaly we started with chickens, ventured to a weaner Friesan x bull, who soon became a steer and then into the freezer. We hand raised x2 week old heifer calves in 2012.
Our first in calf Jersey x heifer has produced us a healthy Dexter x heifer calf on 20/9/2014.
I can relate to the posts of spending lots of time checking her rear end! She dripped mucous for 2.5 weeks and leaked colostrum for 8 days. Do I or don't I contact the vet...
It's not for the faint hearted I've decided but the rewards are oh so worth it... She then delivered while we were out for the day with a good neighbour and a friend on stand by.
I've again come back to the forum and gained valuable information on managing a house cow.
So far so good....
Thank you to all
Linda :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #495359 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Not so new newbie
Welcome to the LSB. I'm sure you'll get hours of fun watching your calf growing. Are you planning on milking the cow? Sounds as if she will be a good milker.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
7 years 8 months ago #495363 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic Not so new newbie
Hi and welcome, I agree, an excellent site. :D

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
7 years 8 months ago #495411 by 611FR
Replied by 611FR on topic Not so new newbie
Thanks for the welcome
Yes we have decided to milk her to take off the extra rather than raise a second calf. As she's been hand raised she has a great nature.

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds