BOP newbie, Hi !

More
9 years 7 months ago #38401 by Kaitemako
BOP newbie, Hi ! was created by Kaitemako
1 year into my lsb of culling massive gorse and woolly nightshade, wondering if I should get some goats to keep the new growth down to keep spraying to a minimum. Does this work ? And if so, where is a good place to find some goats in the Tauranga area ? Thanks for your help [;)]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #495133 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic BOP newbie, Hi !
Hi and welcome. I can't answer your questions, but hope your having some fun with that? :D :D :D

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
9 years 7 months ago #495138 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic BOP newbie, Hi !
Can't help, but welcome! We are out near Te Puna, so in your general area, sort of.

More
9 years 7 months ago #495140 by kai
Replied by kai on topic BOP newbie, Hi !
goats will eat new growth gorse, but only if there is nothing nicer on the menu.

More
9 years 7 months ago #495148 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic BOP newbie, Hi !
As kai says. You have to have very, very good fences to be able to force the goats to eat the things they don't want much of, like gorse. You also have to be prepared for quite a few dying of starvation rather than eating what they don't want.
If I were starting again with gorsey property (been there, done that), I would start by fencing. Then get some animals, and goats would be fine if you have the correct fencing and facilities to treat the problems that goats get. Otherwise cattle if you have enough water, and facilities. Then change the soil fertility so that grass and clover want to grow and gorse doesn't. Do a soil fertility test to find out what you need for grass and clover to grow well.

More
9 years 7 months ago #495360 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic BOP newbie, Hi !
I wouldn't force goats to eat woolly nightshade since it is toxic to stock and the hairs on the leaves are an irritant as well. Seed can last in the ground for 20-30 years, so you will have a task for some time, pulling up any seedlings. grubbing or spot spraying may be the most efficient way to deal with it.
You might find this site useful for control. www.waikatoregion.govt.nz/Services/Regio...nightshade/#Heading4

Gorse at least is not toxic, but is nasty to handle. Goats will eat this and sprays are effective on regrowth.

Welcome to the LSB

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 7 months ago #495366 by igor
Replied by igor on topic BOP newbie, Hi !
I sometimes cut gorse from places where the goats can't go and give it to them as a treat. They love it. Sheep and cattle will sometimes nibble the soft tips but don't do any real damage.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds