New from Manawatu

More
7 years 9 months ago #38370 by kate28
New from Manawatu was created by kate28
Hi, My partner and I purchased our second property in the Pohangina Valley in June. Its 60acres, consisting of around 7 acres of walnuts, an additional 8 acres of grazing & the rest is bush. Half of the bush is regenerating natives & some of the rest we aim to clear & eventually be able to use for grazing. We inherited 31 sheep with the property, a real mixed bunch & also have chickens & recently got 4 calves. I am very impatiently waiting for the sheep to lamb! We both work full time & wish we had more time to spend on the block.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #494812 by Baroque
Replied by Baroque on topic New from Manawatu
Welcome to LSB!

I'll be interested to learn how to properly prepare walnuts from you as I have had problems with ours going moldy.

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

More
7 years 9 months ago #494815 by kate28
Replied by kate28 on topic New from Manawatu
We are new to the walnuts also baroque, we didn't really buy the property because of them, just because we love the area & everything else suited our 'wanted list'. From our research we have found they need to be picked up daily or definitely every 2nd day if this cant be managed. They need to be washed & there are various ways of doing this & then dried.

More
7 years 9 months ago #494847 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic New from Manawatu
Welcome to the Manawatu...

guess you don't need to pick the walnuts after the last few days of wind you can just pick them up from the neighbours place....bit like my washing lol

More
7 years 9 months ago #494849 by kate28
Replied by kate28 on topic New from Manawatu

kindajojo;500002 wrote: Welcome to the Manawatu...

guess you don't need to pick the walnuts after the last few days of wind you can just pick them up from the neighbours place....bit like my washing lol

Nah, the awesome part is its in a bit of a valley so the place is pretty protected from wind, however we do get frosts

More
7 years 9 months ago #494961 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic New from Manawatu
:) welcome :) and great to have more locals :) .. there are quite a few of us Manawatu people on here :) Ray-H and 3girlsfarming are also up "the Valley " :)
If you ever need a hand with the animals just yell eh :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
7 years 9 months ago #495012 by 3 girls farming
Replied by 3 girls farming on topic New from Manawatu
Hi Kate... we're up the Valley too.. up above the village .. where abouts are you?

we've been popping the shelled walnuts (not washed.. can't imagine why you would need to) into a low oven to dry before bagging and freezing.. they don't go off if they are well dried in the oven

More
7 years 9 months ago #495647 by MsK
Replied by MsK on topic New from Manawatu
I recognise this story- hiya Kate! I finally signed up properly too rather than just skulking round the place.
Mia

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds