Greetings from Te Pahu, Waikato

More
7 years 10 months ago #494325 by max2
That is interesting LR re your spring, I haven't heard of that before.....

Ours has been running since the Other Half was a boy and no doubt a long time before that. It was the reason why we bought the property the day after it came onto the market.

In fact there are several here, but we take some of the run off from the largest one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #494340 by rider1803

tiger_jnr;499345 wrote: Hi
Yes I am finding out that life is not that quiet in the country, but love the area. It seems to have some interesting characters living here.
I saw the Mcgillicuddy guy riding his penny farthing down the road a couple of weeks ago, had to laugh, I cant wait to meet him, going to buy some trees of him.
Hope we meet sometime, we have been invited to the bowls night at the community hall tomorrow, cant play bowls, but will go to meet some people.

haha that guy rides past all the time - our friends are always like what the!! Sometimes there is a whole group of them.
There is alao a guy up waite road who grows great trees :) I have 45 of his pittosporums merrily growing along the front of our house.
We haven't been to the hall nights yet - always seem to clash with something else but I will pop around one day and say hi :)

Confirmed horse addict.

More
7 years 10 months ago #494354 by tiger_jnr

LongRidge;499416 wrote: The problem with springs is that they flow well when the weather is wet, but sometimes dry out in a drought. Our house spring froze one very dry winter and didn't start to flow again until 18 months later. So we bought another 25000 L storage tank, and haven't needed it since :-(.
I suggest that you make an appointment to talk with the Council officer that is in charge of irrigation. We have found that our Council are exceedingly helpful. Even better, get the lady of the house to do the communications, because she will get help from the males when she asks a "silly" question, and won't sound as threatening to a female as you might.
While you are at the Council offices, find out some of the interesting information that is kept about your area. Eg neighbours rating valuations, the map of the local area, the bye laws relating to tree planting, droving stock, planting on road reserve, fencing road reserve, paper roads, flood maps, and lots of other things.

Thanks for the advice.
Talked to the previous owner today, she said the spring runs all year, and she had it tested and the water is top quality. As for freezing, doesn't get that cold here.

Your suggestion about getting the wife to do the talking is a good idea. I will get her to put a sexy frock on and send her down to the local council office..lol

More
7 years 10 months ago #494355 by tiger_jnr

rider1803;499444 wrote: haha that guy rides past all the time - our friends are always like what the!! Sometimes there is a whole group of them.
There is alao a guy up waite road who grows great trees :) I have 45 of his pittosporums merrily growing along the front of our house.
We haven't been to the hall nights yet - always seem to clash with something else but I will pop around one day and say hi :)

We have had a couple of visitors come over and they have all commented on the Land-rover in the orchard, found out that they had put it there on purpose as an art thing..lol..another interesting Te Pahu character.

Yes, pop around sometime, be good to meet, come check out our view.
Give us a ring first, make sure we are home. Our cattery ad is on the bazar page on the community web site, our phone number is there.

More
7 years 10 months ago #494358 by Stu_R
TKP is the previous owner i think :)
Dolly i am guessing is the very large Kunekune girl :) .. she is also the BEST piggy mum there is :)
Those animals are well loved and cared for :) .. give them time to get used to you and all will be a dream to handle :)
:) Dolly is the most intelligent of them.. when Dolly accepts you totally then your on the right track for the rest of them to :)
Oh :) and Welcome to the LSB family :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
7 years 10 months ago #494385 by LongRidge
The sexy frock won't work so well, because most Council employees are women :-).
We do have another spring on our property but that is owned by 2 neighbours. That did not dry up when our one did, but got fairly slow in 2005 when we only had 685.5 mm instead of the average 1060 mm. On our land some springs flow better than others, hence the suggestion for tiger to check the permanency of the spring.

More
7 years 10 months ago #494387 by tiger_jnr

Stu_R;499464 wrote: TKP is the previous owner i think :)
Dolly i am guessing is the very large Kunekune girl :) .. she is also the BEST piggy mum there is :)
Those animals are well loved and cared for :) .. give them time to get used to you and all will be a dream to handle :)
:) Dolly is the most intelligent of them.. when Dolly accepts you totally then your on the right track for the rest of them to :)
Oh :) and Welcome to the LSB family :)

Hi
DK & JK were the previous owners.
But you are right about Dolly, and we are the best of mates.
She talks to me all the time, hard case. She loves being scratched with the leaf rake.
She got into the garden last week, she is normally very slow moving in her paddock, but when I caught her she ran away real quick..lol.
I had to push her back to her paddock, which was like trying to push start a mack truck[xx(]

More
7 years 10 months ago #494395 by tiger_jnr

LongRidge;499493 wrote: The sexy frock won't work so well, because most Council employees are women :-).
We do have another spring on our property but that is owned by 2 neighbours. That did not dry up when our one did, but got fairly slow in 2005 when we only had 685.5 mm instead of the average 1060 mm. On our land some springs flow better than others, hence the suggestion for tiger to check the permanency of the spring.

In that case, I will put on my sexy frock and go to the council office

More
7 years 10 months ago #494495 by Baroque

tiger_jnr;499281 wrote: Hi all.
My wife and I bought our 9 acre block one month ago, and have moved down from Auckland to enjoy a slower pace of life.
Our LSB came fully stocked with 4 ewes, 6 lambs, 30 chickens, 2 goats, 1 steer, 1 very fat kune kune and 2 goldfish. Also the previous owners had set up a small cattery , which will hold up to twenty cats, there where 6 cats there when we arrived. So we have had to jump in the deep end, and learn a lot in the last month.
I am covered in bruises and scratches, have just about suffered a couple of heart attacks trying to round up the sheep, running up and down our very steep gully paddocks ( I now have a great respect for the working dog lol), been electrocuted, and fallen down more times then I care to remember. But I am loving every minute of it.
Me and the wife have been doing 12 hour days since we got here, working with the animals, have built a couple of new raised bed gardens, planted a hundred trees and various other things, we go to bed very early now and sleep like babies.

Hoping someone could answer a question for me...we have discovered a spring on our property. I have done a flow test on it and estimate there is about 1700 litres of water just running away down the paddock into a neighbours drain. I am going to take a sample and send it to a lab to get tested to see if its safe to drink.
Would I need to get council permission to pump it into a tank and use it for my troughs and to irrigate the paddocks?

Welcome to LSB! Had a wee giggle too at your antics.

Sounds like the cats have been fun too with all those scratches... :p

Have you tried using a rattly plastic rubbish bag on a stick to assist with moving your sheep?

Maybe you can get some help from locals with sheep herding, its very useful if you can train them to come when you call them (the sheep that is, but training the locals might be handy too!), the goats might be useful for that or dare I suggest getting a pet ewe or wether from someone local who had it for calf club?

Can't help you with the spring but I'm sure someone else here will know.

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

More
7 years 10 months ago #494502 by The Kats Place
Hi Tiger, Yes my avatar was TKP - the kats place.
So Stu R is dead right.
Hope all going OK today with this shite weather, sure makes it hard getting the outside jobs done. You probably have a list just as big of inside stuff to do anyway.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
7 years 10 months ago #494528 by tiger_jnr

Baroque;499616 wrote: Welcome to LSB! Had a wee giggle too at your antics.

Sounds like the cats have been fun too with all those scratches... :p

Have you tried using a rattly plastic rubbish bag on a stick to assist with moving your sheep?

Maybe you can get some help from locals with sheep herding, its very useful if you can train them to come when you call them (the sheep that is, but training the locals might be handy too!), the goats might be useful for that or dare I suggest getting a pet ewe or wether from someone local who had it for calf club?

Can't help you with the spring but I'm sure someone else here will know.

Hi
Most of the scratches are caused by me going a hundred miles an hour doing things around the property. The cats have all been good, just the odd one will give you a swipe if you rub them on the wrong place.
They are all so different, there is one that loves being patted on the stomach, but the others don't like that at all.

The bag on a stick sounds like a good idea, I just got some bamboo for stakes, a couple of pieces are about 10 feet long, one in each hand should do the trick..lol..make a giant wall.

More
7 years 10 months ago #494530 by tiger_jnr

The Kats Place;499624 wrote: Hi Tiger, Yes my avatar was TKP - the kats place.
So Stu R is dead right.
Hope all going OK today with this shite weather, sure makes it hard getting the outside jobs done. You probably have a list just as big of inside stuff to do anyway.

Had a good day, I took the day off today, just fed the animals and that was it. The weather has been extreme, lightning and some very loud thunder last night.

The wife heard princess crying last night, she thought the other sheep were being mean and had kicked her out off the shelter..lol :)
I said she would be fine, but she wanted to check, So she put her raincoat on over her pajamas and went out in the horrible weather.
And guess what, princess was cuddled up in the shelter with punky and her 2 lambs.:rolleyes:

More
7 years 10 months ago #494562 by The Kats Place
Punky is such a sweet natured girl, I am so pleased Princess has hooked up with her and her lambs and become part of the 'flock'. If Pucky's babies were getting a feed then Princess was probably calling out for a fed too.
It can be a bit interesting upstairs there when the storms come over and the strong winds make it sure rock and roll up on the top floor.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
7 years 10 months ago #494578 by reggit
Lovely weather at your place this morning? Can see - and hear - it from where I am staying [}:)] just managed to hurry the dog back from a walk before it started heading this way.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
7 years 10 months ago #494595 by tiger_jnr

reggit;499708 wrote: Lovely weather at your place this morning? Can see - and hear - it from where I am staying [}:)] just managed to hurry the dog back from a walk before it started heading this way.

Your not wrong, its been pretty crazy here with the wind, the house has been shaking. The other thing is the weather is changing so quick here, the sun comes out for a while then it just pisses down.
Last night was cool, lots of lightning and thunder, I love storms.
So today I am working in the garage building a chook house.

Time to create page: 0.251 seconds