Greetings from Te Pahu, Waikato

More
7 years 9 months ago #38315 by tiger_jnr
Hi all.
My wife and I bought our 9 acre block one month ago, and have moved down from Auckland to enjoy a slower pace of life.
Our LSB came fully stocked with 4 ewes, 6 lambs, 30 chickens, 2 goats, 1 steer, 1 very fat kune kune and 2 goldfish. Also the previous owners had set up a small cattery , which will hold up to twenty cats, there where 6 cats there when we arrived. So we have had to jump in the deep end, and learn a lot in the last month.
I am covered in bruises and scratches, have just about suffered a couple of heart attacks trying to round up the sheep, running up and down our very steep gully paddocks ( I now have a great respect for the working dog lol), been electrocuted, and fallen down more times then I care to remember. But I am loving every minute of it.
Me and the wife have been doing 12 hour days since we got here, working with the animals, have built a couple of new raised bed gardens, planted a hundred trees and various other things, we go to bed very early now and sleep like babies.

Hoping someone could answer a question for me...we have discovered a spring on our property. I have done a flow test on it and estimate there is about 1700 litres of water just running away down the paddock into a neighbours drain. I am going to take a sample and send it to a lab to get tested to see if its safe to drink.
Would I need to get council permission to pump it into a tank and use it for my troughs and to irrigate the paddocks?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #494198 by max2
Hello and welcome. I hope you don't mind but I had a giggle when I read your comment about enjoying a slower pace of life, but I see the work of owning land has caught up with you! :)

Our house water is plumbed direct from a spring to a tank and I am not aware of any requirement for council or regional requirements to obtain permission at this stage.

In fact a number of properties obtain their water supply the very same way and have done so for a number of years.

However I know the market gardens across the road had to have a resource consent to drill for a bore into one of the underground water tables. They have since removed that bore but residents further up the road noticed a decrease in water supply.

Slightly OTT but once you start drinking your spring water and not town supply it will be at a rare cafe where you can enjoy a glass of water without the overpowering taste and smell of chlorine/additives.

More
7 years 9 months ago #494200 by reggit
Welcome to the site, Tiger...that property sounds vaguely familiar :D [}:)] think some of those sheep are offspring of my girls :rolleyes:

You are going to love it there!

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
7 years 9 months ago #494205 by Deanna
Hi and welcome tiger_jnr. You made a most entertaining entrance into your thread, I must say. I can top you with a broken arm within the 1st month. :D :D :D But isn't it great! You have done so much, and the tree planting, tremendous. Good luck with your water, excellent. I look forward to many more updates, if they run along the same line. :D

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
7 years 9 months ago #494212 by rider1803
Hi Tiger_jnr. We are also in Te Pahu, I know the your property and it is very steep! We are down on the flats - no running up mountains for me! Trust me there is nothing quiet about life in the country, there will be a million things to do that you never imagined.
I think you will be able to pump from the spring to your tank no worries, we (and our neighbours) all have wells from an underground stream and it is great to top the farm-supply tank up with.

Confirmed horse addict.

More
7 years 9 months ago #494239 by Cigar
I wouldn't think it would be a major issue to use the spring for house and stock water, but using it for irrigation may be a different story. You see it as going to waste down your neighbours drain, the council probably see it as a valuable part of the catchment supplying the river further down...

More
7 years 9 months ago #494242 by muri
If you are using the water for commercial gain, eg irrigation, then you would probably be required to have a meter and pay for its use.
Using it just for you and the stock is fine.
With time, you will find there is an easier way with sheep but it takes a lot of patience. First you have to buy sheep nuts and get them hooked on eating them. Once they get the idea and like them, they will follow you anywhere.
There are also ways of moving sheep so you dont really have to run, but moving them slowly will actually work out a lot quicker than chasing them. They need to be kept together as a group and they like to follow a fence line so move them quietly along a fenceline to where you want them, if thats possible.
I hope you like cats as it sounds like a bit of fun and games on that front too?
I always think the best years on an LSB are the first years, as you have so much enthusiasm and energy

More
7 years 9 months ago #494248 by tiger_jnr
Don't mind you having a giggle, my wife is always laughing at me.

Thanks for the advice about the water

More
7 years 9 months ago #494250 by tiger_jnr

reggit;499287 wrote: Welcome to the site, Tiger...that property sounds vaguely familiar :D [}:)] think some of those sheep are offspring of my girls :rolleyes:

You are going to love it there!

Are your sheep Wiltshires? One of them is very stroppy and is the one the makes me run up and down the paddock.:( They have produced some very nice lambs though, a couple of the rams are going to be very big boys.

More
7 years 9 months ago #494252 by tiger_jnr

Deanna;499292 wrote: Hi and welcome tiger_jnr. You made a most entertaining entrance into your thread, I must say. I can top you with a broken arm within the 1st month. :D :D :D But isn't it great! You have done so much, and the tree planting, tremendous. Good luck with your water, excellent. I look forward to many more updates, if they run along the same line. :D

Thanks for the welcome .
No I cant top a broken arm yet.
Last week I saw one of the neighbour's steers running down the road, and he came through our front gate. I was in the paddock next to it and I got the bright idea to jump over the Deer fence on the front of our property and run up the road to chase him up our drive to catch him [:o)]. Got to the top of the fence ok, but i fell off over to the other side, I was sore for a couple of days after that.[:I]

More
7 years 9 months ago #494253 by tiger_jnr

rider1803;499300 wrote: Hi Tiger_jnr. We are also in Te Pahu, I know the your property and it is very steep! We are down on the flats - no running up mountains for me! Trust me there is nothing quiet about life in the country, there will be a million things to do that you never imagined.
I think you will be able to pump from the spring to your tank no worries, we (and our neighbours) all have wells from an underground stream and it is great to top the farm-supply tank up with.

Hi
Yes I am finding out that life is not that quiet in the country, but love the area. It seems to have some interesting characters living here.
I saw the Mcgillicuddy guy riding his penny farthing down the road a couple of weeks ago, had to laugh, I cant wait to meet him, going to buy some trees of him.
Hope we meet sometime, we have been invited to the bowls night at the community hall tomorrow, cant play bowls, but will go to meet some people.

More
7 years 9 months ago #494254 by tiger_jnr

Cigar;499329 wrote: I wouldn't think it would be a major issue to use the spring for house and stock water, but using it for irrigation may be a different story. You see it as going to waste down your neighbours drain, the council probably see it as a valuable part of the catchment supplying the river further down...

Thats a good point, there is a river about 3ks down the road.
I am just going to have to bite the bullet and ring the council:confused: before I do anything.
Was trying to avoid that after previous experience dealing with councils in Auckland

More
7 years 9 months ago #494255 by tiger_jnr

muri;499332 wrote: If you are using the water for commercial gain, eg irrigation, then you would probably be required to have a meter and pay for its use.
Using it just for you and the stock is fine.
With time, you will find there is an easier way with sheep but it takes a lot of patience. First you have to buy sheep nuts and get them hooked on eating them. Once they get the idea and like them, they will follow you anywhere.
There are also ways of moving sheep so you dont really have to run, but moving them slowly will actually work out a lot quicker than chasing them. They need to be kept together as a group and they like to follow a fence line so move them quietly along a fenceline to where you want them, if thats possible.
I hope you like cats as it sounds like a bit of fun and games on that front too?
I always think the best years on an LSB are the first years, as you have so much enthusiasm and energy

Thanks for the advice.
We do use the sheep nuts to lead the sheep, 7 of them are fine and will always follow. It is just one ewe and her 2 lambs, that are the problem. She just takes off and runs all over the place. We had one of the locals over to show us how to do the docking, he even struggled to get her up to the pen with a dog, so she will be xmas dinner[}:)].
My wife and I both love the cats, they can be very entertaining, I usually go over to the cattery at night and play with them, great way to relax.

More
7 years 9 months ago #494261 by reggit

tiger_jnr;499342 wrote: Thanks :)

Are your sheep Wiltshires? One of them is very stroppy and is the one the makes me run up and down the paddock.:( They have produced some very nice lambs though, a couple of the rams are going to be very big boys.

Give them time to get used to you - and use lots of sheep nuts [;)] She may be being more protective because she has the lambs. Most important thing I learned in my first year on our block...never try to move one sheep (or one sheep unit, mum and lambs) by themselves. If you lose one from the flock, let them all out again and start from scratch, sheep don't like to be isolated and are much harder to handle when they are alone.

Having said that, if she's not easier to handle once her lambs are off her and once she is used to your new faces, Sunday roast is always an option, as you say [}:)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
7 years 9 months ago #494314 by LongRidge
The problem with springs is that they flow well when the weather is wet, but sometimes dry out in a drought. Our house spring froze one very dry winter and didn't start to flow again until 18 months later. So we bought another 25000 L storage tank, and haven't needed it since :-(.
I suggest that you make an appointment to talk with the Council officer that is in charge of irrigation. We have found that our Council are exceedingly helpful. Even better, get the lady of the house to do the communications, because she will get help from the males when she asks a "silly" question, and won't sound as threatening to a female as you might.
While you are at the Council offices, find out some of the interesting information that is kept about your area. Eg neighbours rating valuations, the map of the local area, the bye laws relating to tree planting, droving stock, planting on road reserve, fencing road reserve, paper roads, flood maps, and lots of other things.

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds