Zen Life in Taipa

More
7 years 9 months ago #38240 by ZenLife
Zen Life in Taipa was created by ZenLife
Hi all, a great community on lsbnz and pleased to be able to learn and share here. I have just bought 5 acres as a blank canvas of pasture. I hope to form a drive and tiny house site, dig a dam, fence as the land dries October. I plan on a tiny house and cool container. Off grid solar, collect water, livestock, nursery, chook, permaculture, a goat for milk would cool. Eccentric par three golf hole because I can and a zen garden. it is so nice at 51 to have my first land, in fact I'm scared excited. The community here is great and I love being close to the river and the ocean as I have had a long career overseas in water sports. Specifically surfing and stand up paddle, competing and coaching as well as business. Looking forward to picking up my childhood habit of fishing. Of course I have a zillion unanswered Q. One is why are people do 24v instead of 12? Anyway I hope to have a little zen cabin under 10m squared there soon so I can step onto my land and make a cup of tea. Any support or close by neighbours reach back to me please. Zen Life Stuart

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #493443 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Zen Life in Taipa
In a zen world, I might be considered close. [;)]

More
7 years 9 months ago #493469 by ZenLife
Replied by ZenLife on topic Zen Life in Taipa
Your close ;-) thanks for reaching out Ruth.

More
7 years 9 months ago #493483 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Zen Life in Taipa
Welcome aboard and good luck. I suspect that many off-grid people run 24v electrical systems because they can utilise truck electrical components which are generally a lot more robust and long lasting than 12v car components. You may have noticed that a lot of military light vehicles run 24v systems even when the civilian equivalent is 12v.

More
7 years 9 months ago #493536 by ZenLife
Thank you for the welcome Igor. I get it now. Does that mean that all my cigarette lighter stuff I have wont work on 24v?

More
7 years 9 months ago #493571 by kernels
Replied by kernels on topic Zen Life in Taipa
Solar systems are often 24V rather than 12V because when you have more volts you have less current (amps) for the same power. That means that you can get away with thinner copper wires for the same power.

If you have a 24V setup you can use a 24V to 12V converter to run your 12V gear or you can simply tap 12V from your 24V battery bank.

More
7 years 9 months ago #493574 by ZenLife
That is cool thank you

More
7 years 9 months ago #493647 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Zen Life in Taipa
I would put "a pond" way down on my list of priorities because they are usually far more work than benefit. Egs include
1. Should be childproof
2. Cannot irrigate out of it unless you have the Council permits
3. Sick animals fall into it
4. Unwanted animals eg rats, pukekos, leeches live in it
5. Expensive to build to the correct engineering standard, so without that you might lose insurance cover if it collapses.
6. They are a great place for bacteria that are harmful to your animals, so using for stock water means regular cleaning. Troughs are much easier to keep clean enough.

More
7 years 9 months ago #493649 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Zen Life in Taipa
We drink ours when we accidentally fall into it when drunk. A child was accidentally dunked, upside down last Xmas and ingested a quantity of tasty mud. We took pictures of her distress and circulated them widely. Damn, we'll just have to fill that unhealthy collector of disease, disaster and danger in.

More
7 years 9 months ago #493687 by ZenLife
Wow thx for the heads up lsb I had no idea it was such a complex area well informed thx

More
7 years 9 months ago #493693 by LongRidge
Ruth, disease, danger and disaster is what turns life from being boring to being interesting. So definitely don't spend money removing this interesting part of YOUR life.
But I think that just at the moment, Stuart has lots of other ways to spend his money on making life interesting. And getting animals out of a pond full of leeches is really interesting, but perhaps not exciting.

More
7 years 9 months ago #493702 by ZenLife
Yes I can see the sense in not overextending. I was thinking of a tiny house on wheels and yet the thought of building a trailer that cost 10,000$ that wont move much seems counter to the lowering consumption and haveing less stuff. So the other consenting option looks like getting a driveway and house site formed that needs engineering report, then a build that would need a report for foundations sewerage and waste wate and storm water. I like the idea of putting something solid on the ground and yet I want to do it smart and not overextend. I will be looking for a way. Any help appreciated.

More
7 years 9 months ago #493730 by LongRidge
A friend of mine and her husband have put a couple of house buses on their township property near Taumaranui. Thus if they ever have the time or inclination to go on a holiday they can pack up the best bus.

More
7 years 9 months ago #493926 by ZenLife
Really thinking about a smart consented cabin retreat style build now. :-). Self built, off grid.

More
7 years 9 months ago #493950 by nith
Replied by nith on topic Zen Life in Taipa
Welcome Zen how's the wet treating you ....

Time to create page: 0.226 seconds