Blind lamb?

More
7 years 10 months ago #38170 by kkeellzz
Blind lamb? was created by kkeellzz
Good morning

Our neighbor gave us a lamb yesterday afternoon, guessing she is around a day old. He found her alone in the paddock while mum was off feeding her sibling. Im pretty sure she is blind, stands etc but walks into everything and sort of coasts along the side of the enclosure. Does anyone know what to look for? Ive spoken to the vet nurse but she was kind of trying to say give it a few days to see if she makes it before taking her in for a consult. Shes bottle feeding fine now and seems to be in good spirits.

Any help or advise would be appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #492727 by funnyfarm331
Replied by funnyfarm331 on topic Blind lamb?
Hi and welcome,

I'm sure someone will have dealt with this and will offer their advice.
My thought would be to keep her safe and fed which you are obviously doing and to get another lamb so she has company. If she does get through these first few days and you want to keep her I'd get a vet to have a look.

Has she had colostrum?

All the best

More
7 years 9 months ago #492730 by kkeellzz
Replied by kkeellzz on topic Blind lamb?
Thanks :) Im pretty sure she got one feed of colostrum. I have her inside by the fire at the moment, we have a couple of older lambs, just a wee bit concerned they will hurt her as they can be quite rough when they're bouncing around.

More
7 years 9 months ago #492733 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Blind lamb?
Blindness can also be caused by a thiamin deficiency in which case it will also be floppy and not much energy. The only cure is a thiamin injection.
There was another post last week on a blind sheep as well.
I am sorry, but I found mine a total liability in the paddock and it was always banging into things. I really dont believe its much of a life for a sheep if its blind

More
7 years 9 months ago #492741 by kkeellzz

muri;497672 wrote: Blindness can also be caused by a thiamin deficiency in which case it will also be floppy and not much energy. The only cure is a thiamin injection.
There was another post last week on a blind sheep as well.
I am sorry, but I found mine a total liability in the paddock and it was always banging into things. I really dont believe its much of a life for a sheep if its blind

Thanks for your honesty, I can see this little one becoming this way. In reality I think I just wanted to know if there are any reasons for a lamb to be blind that is fixable iykwim before going any further with her :)

More
7 years 9 months ago #492746 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Blind lamb?
Are you sure it's not entropion, where the eyelids turn in and irritate the eye? The animal will have it's eyes closed so can't see. If it's entropion it is relatively easy to fix.

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
7 years 9 months ago #492773 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Blind lamb?
With entopian eyelids, the lamb tends to make lots of tears. If there are tear stains, and anyway, I would treat it as entopian, which involves pulling the eyelids apart, gently, with the thumb and forefinger. Apart from this there is nothing cheap enough that a vet can do - an operation on the eyelids will cost megabucks.

More
7 years 9 months ago #492807 by kkeellzz

LongRidge;497716 wrote: With entopian eyelids, the lamb tends to make lots of tears. If there are tear stains, and anyway, I would treat it as entopian, which involves pulling the eyelids apart, gently, with the thumb and forefinger. Apart from this there is nothing cheap enough that a vet can do - an operation on the eyelids will cost megabucks.

We have been doing just that thank you :) We have done it a couple of times since we got her. This morning she seems to be able to know where shes going, not bumping into anything and her head follows us when we walk past. Suppose its a wait and see kinda thing.

More
7 years 9 months ago #492855 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Blind lamb?
We have a blind pig. We keep her with a companion pig and she manages just fine. We hsd to lesrn how to manage her when she was a baby. Only one of us could talk or she got confused about who was where. We also learned that we couldn't just put her in a new paddock by herself. This year she hsd her first litter of piglets and she was a great mum and didn't lose any. It did take a bit of effort to accustom her to finding us by voice but has been well worth the trouble.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
7 years 9 months ago #492860 by Hintzashouse
Replied by Hintzashouse on topic Blind lamb?
I have a blind ewe, Mia. She copes pretty well, listens for footsteps and knows my voice. She has had several lambs she grew up with and sometimes they go in with her and sometimes she is by herself. We have built about 3 little sheep shelters and she rotates round the paddocks with them in. i make a pen with 3 old gates and shut her in at night so i know she is safe and dry. I always put the hay on the left And the water on the right in the shelter so she knows where they are. When the weather is horrid i shut her in as well. I have a windchime i hang off the shelter to try and help her find it herself.
She can hold her own when it comes to a boss fight. She is more work than a normal sheep but i get back in pleasure from interacting with her and knowing she has a pretty good life and is safe and generally warm and well fed. I rotate her quite frequently so she is on cleaner grass than the other sheep cos she cant see what she is eating ie whether the grass is muddy or soiled.
Hope that helps, Hintzashouse

More
7 years 9 months ago #492875 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Blind lamb?
Just wondering, if you are having to open her eyes maybe shes not blind but its caused by something making her keep her eyes mostly closed, or blurry. If so, it may be a simple fix at the vet rather than a longer time of discomfort for her.

If I was keeping her I would get her checked by the vet incase it is something that can be helped, rather than wait and then find out the damage is to far gone...

More
7 years 9 months ago #492879 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Blind lamb?
When I was a child we had a blind farm dog. He learnt where everything was and functioned quite well. Sometimes he would duck under open gates and a few times he jumped on the wrong end of the ute. If we built something new we just had to teach him where it was.

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds