New Lifestylers

More
9 years 7 months ago #37975 by LAOnorth
New Lifestylers was created by LAOnorth
Hi All

My husband and I have recently bought a 22acre bare block just out of Whangarei with plans to build later in the year. Eventually we plan to run some cattle but are currently taking things slowly putting in shelter belts, sorting the drains and generally repairing the paddocks after the last owner finally moved off his very heavy South Devons.
Very excited to have made this move at last and impressed hugely with the LSB forum.
Any tips for how to get a letter box number for a bareland block??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #490646 by kate
Replied by kate on topic New Lifestylers
Hi and welcome :)

When we moved onto our bare block north of Whangarei we filled out a rural delivery form at the post office and they assigned us a number.

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
9 years 7 months ago #490648 by muri
Replied by muri on topic New Lifestylers
I have had someone living here who has been building up the road. They wont assign her a number until she has a building on the site, which is really useful when you want stuff delivered and know it will end up on the right property!
She went and got a measuring wheel and measured from the start of the road as rural numbers are based on distance from the start of the road.
If you are number 200 you know you are 2km from the start of your road.
If the council wont issue a number see if you can borrow a wheel from a surveyor or fencer or similar, measure the distance and tack up your own number!

More
9 years 7 months ago #490675 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic New Lifestylers

LAOnorth;495361 wrote: Hi All

My husband and I have recently bought a 22acre bare block just out of Whangarei with plans to build later in the year. Eventually we plan to run some cattle but are currently taking things slowly putting in shelter belts, sorting the drains and generally repairing the paddocks after the last owner finally moved off his very heavy South Devons.
Very excited to have made this move at last and impressed hugely with the LSB forum.
Any tips for how to get a letter box number for a bareland block??

Hi and welcome. Exciting isn't it. And yes a very helpful place this forum is. :D
Look forward to hearing your progress as you go. :)

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
9 years 7 months ago #490694 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic New Lifestylers
The Council should assign RAPID(Rural Address Property ID) numbers regardless of whether any building is there, (and they may already have assigned one to your block, depending on when it was subdivided).
You can require emergency services regardless of whether you are in a building or not! If your Council is being difficult about this, ask them how you are to direct an ambulance the next time you chainsaw your leg, or have a bull stomp on your foot.

A RAPID number is primarily used for emergency services, but once you have been assigned it, it goes onto various national databases as a property ID and it can, as a secondary use, be used for addressing deliveries, and if you register it with NZ Post, can be used for general postal deliveries.

While it took some insistence, we have one, without any Building Consent applications having been submitted, and we got the numbers printed for us by a local signage company for $15 each. (We got several, some with arrows, so visitors can find their way through several intersections on our right-of-way.)

Some Councils provide the signs, but they may only do that if you have a Building Consent or Certificate of Code Compliance, and therefore pay higher rates to cover all those extras:rolleyes:.

More
9 years 7 months ago #490735 by Baroque
Replied by Baroque on topic New Lifestylers
Welcome!

If I remember rightly our council issued all the properties in our area with the RAPID numbers about 15? years ago.

Apparently they are based on the distance to the nearest intersection, hence why the number seem to jump about a lot, the numbers are in km I think, so that they know where to send an ambulance to if there is an accident.

Take your time with your fencing and shelterbelts, it will pay off in the end. [;)]

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

More
9 years 7 months ago #490837 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic New Lifestylers
No Baroque, the numbers are in 10 m divisions. So we at no 1 are 10 meters from the intersection, on the left hand and south-ish side of the road. The neighbour is at no 35, 350 meters down the road on the same side, and 3500 is 35 km down the road on the other side (being an even number, unlike the first two odd numbers).

More
9 years 7 months ago #490840 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic New Lifestylers
its not like town with odd numbers one side and even the other...measurement is taken from the end of the road closest to the town/ area centre.

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
9 years 7 months ago #490877 by LAOnorth
Replied by LAOnorth on topic New Lifestylers
Thanks for the response everyone. We think we might have the rural number under control ... it would probably help if our road wasn't a glorified driveway!! My eldest is starting school and we need some proof of living in zone other than the land title apparently :)

More
9 years 7 months ago #490987 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic New Lifestylers

katieb;495572 wrote: its not like town with odd numbers one side and even the other...measurement is taken from the end of the road closest to the town/ area centre.

It's precisely like town in that numbers are odd one side and even the other.
New Plymouth District Council have published the following which explains it well :
www.newplymouthnz.com/CouncilAtoZ/RuralPropertyNumbering/

Strangely I was looking this up this morning, as we used to have farm numbers here but they seem to have disappeared. Auckland stupid city says "We've been far too busy to bring this up to date"

Say what!!!

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 7 months ago #491059 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic New Lifestylers

Stikkibeek;495736 wrote: It's precisely like town in that numbers are odd one side and even the other.
New Plymouth District Council have published the following which explains it well :
www.newplymouthnz.com/CouncilAtoZ/RuralPropertyNumbering/

Strangely I was looking this up this morning, as we used to have farm numbers here but they seem to have disappeared. Auckland stupid city says "We've been far too busy to bring this up to date"

Say what!!!

Before I wrote my reply I checked by searching a few addresses on our road, unfortunatly most dont have their rapid number in the phone book

We are uneven but one of our neighbours is even, another 2 on ourside that I know of are uneven as well....I will check out a few more next time I go for a drive

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
9 years 7 months ago #491108 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic New Lifestylers
katieb, if your neighbour with the even number is on your side of the road, with an odd RAPID number, then they have used the wrong number when ordering it from who-ever :-).

More
9 years 7 months ago #491229 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic New Lifestylers
All the rapid numbers up our road go in 10s or more. The numbers on the odd side go 85, 95, 115,125 etc. in Our case they don't seem to be related to metres from the main road.
perhaps that goes back to AkCC

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds