Old Newbie ...

More
7 years 11 months ago #37939 by Escargo
Old Newbie ... was created by Escargo
Hi there - I am in fact an old Newbie if that makes sense. I joined LB quite some time ago but never really partook in the forums. However, now I have a new found growing interest - making cheese - so I thought I would join the forum and hopefully gain some knowledge and perhaps have somewhere to post any problems that might arise.
I am 51 years old, working full time and live in Hawke's Bay, New Zealand.
I love my garden and grow lots of heirloom vegetables. I enjoy photography and scrapbooking and card making - and now cheesemaking. Don't ask how I manage to find the time ...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #490218 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Old Newbie ...
Good on you Escargo. Cheese making can be a bit of fun. Do you have a cow or buy in the milk? We milk a Jersey cow and have found that it is possible to skim most of the cream for butter making and still make a fairly good cheddar type cheese with the remaining milk. The pigs get the whey and the hens enjoy the buttermilk. Wish you all the best.

More
7 years 11 months ago #490220 by Escargo
Replied by Escargo on topic Old Newbie ...
Thanks igor. No I don't have a cow, although I did threaten that we might need to get one soon, but I would prefer a goat as I can't source goats milk anywhere locally.
I buy my milk right across the road at the local coffee shop, he sells Origin Earth milk or I go around to Hohepa who sell their own raw milk.
So far have only made small batches, my camembert is really nice eating at the moment - great deep fried.
The whey goes onto my vege garden and into the dogs' tummy!
:)

More
7 years 11 months ago #490287 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Old Newbie ...
Welcome, and ..... ummmm ..... how do you get cheese from escargots? You don't need a cow to be able to make cheese. Goats and sheep milk works, too. And with milking-breed goats it is often possible to get them milking by massage rather than pregnancy.

More
7 years 11 months ago #490543 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Old Newbie ...
don't throw away the whey (sounds funny?) it's good for making bread and fermented veges. It's high protein stuff, drink it if you can!

I took a while to get into cheesemaking, and started with feta and mozzerela, quite easy really if you have a good thermometer. It's not so hard to do as long as you can get cows milk.

Good luck...

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
7 years 11 months ago #490549 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Old Newbie ...

LongRidge;494978 wrote: Welcome, and ..... ummmm ..... how do you get cheese from escargots? You don't need a cow to be able to make cheese. Goats and sheep milk works, too. And with milking-breed goats it is often possible to get them milking by massage rather than pregnancy.

Welcome escargot.....
LR I understand you can actually milk snails, trick is getting the cups on the tests......but they don't kick or move too fast and you can keep a whole herd in a bucket.

More
7 years 11 months ago #490562 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Old Newbie ...
I have quite seriously considered farming snails, but it would have been by that cruel and unnatural factory farming method where a temperature and humidity controlled shed was used, and they were to be fed unnatural foods like grape leaves, garlic, and other herbs. But .... I couldn't find a dog that would muster any escapees or search for new blood for the breeding program. If only I had known about milking them, I might have tried harder ..... :-).

More
7 years 11 months ago #490587 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic Old Newbie ...
Hello escargo, and welcome. My daughter makes cheese, still learning but I love the results as does a Dutch friend of mine. I will give it ago some day soon. :)

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
7 years 11 months ago #490601 by Escargo
Replied by Escargo on topic Old Newbie ...
Well ...
Escargot (as in snails) are slow
Cheesemaking is a slow process ...
something in common I guess !!!

Time to create page: 0.281 seconds