Ahoy!

More
8 years 6 days ago #37839 by Buttons
Ahoy! was created by Buttons
Haha soooo after lurking and madly reading everything I can in here for months I have decided to finally say hello! Not that we even own a block of land or even a house, but we are desperately saving like mad so that hopefully in about 12 months time we'll be in our first house & acreage. But until that happens I'll be hanging around trying to learn what I can about goats...and pigs..and chickens..and goats again...

I definitely have the crazy country fever :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 days ago #489182 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Ahoy!
Welcome, Buttons, a great place to ask as many questions as you can think of :)

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
8 years 6 days ago #489187 by shad297
Replied by shad297 on topic Ahoy!
Hello and welcome. This is an awesome site, even though I am a townie I read heaps of the rural/LSB stuff, so interesting.

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
8 years 5 days ago #489212 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic Ahoy!
Hello and welcome. I hope your dream comes to fruition. :) :) :)

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
8 years 5 days ago #489241 by rider1803
Replied by rider1803 on topic Ahoy!
Welcome.
Goodluck with the savings. When it comes to getting some help from a bank make sure you shop around as some lend more on a lifestyle property than others - i.e some only lend 80% whilst others will go as high as 90%......

Confirmed horse addict.

More
8 years 5 days ago #489258 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Ahoy!
Welcome along :) .. glad to have you aboard :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
8 years 5 days ago #489278 by EV
Replied by EV on topic Ahoy!
Welcome! I bet you'll find it useful reading along - I know I picked up some things to look for while we were still searching for our place. Good luck in the hunting!

More
8 years 4 days ago #489327 by Buttons
Replied by Buttons on topic Ahoy!
Thanks everyone! I will definitely be using a mortgage broker when the time comes but until then I'll just keep daydreaming about my future mini farm.

More
8 years 3 days ago #489375 by Baroque
Replied by Baroque on topic Ahoy!
Ahoy there & welcome! :D

Feel free to ask as many goat questions as you like! :D

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

More
6 years 11 months ago #509611 by Buttons
So I thought I'd post a wee update about our situation as some of you may recall we were saving our pennies for our first house/LSB.

We probably looked seriously for about 4 months and then less seriously for a few months before that while trying to get pre-approval from the bank as we had less than 20% deposit. We're in Auckland which makes things a little hard as the market is crazy insane up here. We were originally aiming for about 3-5 acres but couldn't find anything that felt "right". Many of them were nice (even more that were awful) but they just didn't feel like they were meant to be our home.

We put an offer on an awesome 5.5acre place that was accepted but we pulled out after some significant issues with weather tightness were revealed on the building inspection. Instead of feeling upset we were relieved which came as a bit of a shock as we had thought it was everything we wanted. I've had some health issues over the last 6 months and in the background was a wee nagging feeling that we'd be taking on more than we could handle with my health as we also work full time. I was born and raised on a farm so know what's involved with owning land and stock.

So super long story short we've ended up in a super cute character house that's been mostly renovated on half an acre with established fruit trees. It has everything we wanted except the extra land and I'm so in love with it. :) :) :)

I'm glad we didn't go bigger as I couldn't of managed it at the moment and some days just planning out my garden feels exhausting. I've inherited 2 chickens and hope to get some ducks and that should keep me going for the next couple of years until we're able to manage more and move onto something else :)

Ultimately all I really need in life to keep me happy is a big vege garden, fruit trees and some perculilar poultry and I've at least achieved that.

More
6 years 11 months ago #509616 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Ahoy!
When we lived in town, I had 10 hens (no roosters allowed) and all the neighbours bought our surplus eggs. We were on 1614 sqm, so about 1/3 of an acre and with a very good orchard. We also had great garden soil so grew most of our own vegetables with extra silverbeet for the hens, so it can be very rewarding.
Hope your health improves and you get to live that dream.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
6 years 11 months ago #509621 by Buttons
Thankfully we're still in the country with heaps of privacy :)

I could never quite live in town having always lived rural. We made the right decision as I've been on partial sick leave since we moved. Figure we'll enjoy this for now and and upsize in a couple of years. The smaller mortgage is pretty good too :)

Time to create page: 0.219 seconds