Big hello

More
8 years 5 days ago #37807 by Peterkit03
Big hello was created by Peterkit03
Hello everyone! Greetings from Ramarama.
I have just got my hands on 12 acres of land. Currently awaiting council approval to build. I m a 1st time. Getting grey hair just trying to find out how to keep 4 cows. Lol. You guys will be certain to see me here firing endless questions. Thank you in advance for your help. Think LM going to need it. Think l have bitten more than I can chew.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 days ago #488934 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Big hello
Welcome in! :)

People new to farming often refer to "cows". So we can help you best, how old are they and what sex?

Re biting off more than you can chew: four cows are a lot to eat! [}:)]

More
8 years 5 days ago #488951 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Big hello
"Heard of cattle?" :D :D

welcome to your new hobby[8D][;)]

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
8 years 5 days ago #488968 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic Big hello
Hello back at you. 12 acres is a good size. So you have yet to buy the cows? I haven't been brave enough to get a milking cow yet, don't know if I ever will. Maybe meat cows, one day, maybe.

All the best. :) :) :)

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
8 years 3 days ago #489067 by Baroque
Replied by Baroque on topic Big hello
Welcome to lsb!

I'm sure you'll get lots of help :) just keep asking the questions cos we were all newbies once and you never know you may help someone else. [;)]

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

More
8 years 2 days ago #489123 by Peterkit03
Replied by Peterkit03 on topic Big hello
Thank you all. Looking at getting Angus for meat, not going to milk any cows yet. Land is not big enough anyway. Lol. Whenever I look at trade me for cattle, there always a mention of vaccination, and questions starts to pop out. How often do I need to vacc them, till what stage, till how long, with how many chemical/medicine. Know theres mouth feed and pour on skin type.
Is that enough questions yet?. LOL.

More
8 years 2 days ago #489124 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Big hello
Trademe may or may not be a good source. You have to know what you're looking at if you buy from there or you can be sold some real duds and ongoing problems.

From your post, it seems you need to do a lot of reading yet to understand some of the information you're coming across. Start with the Lifestyle Files in this site.

More
8 years 2 days ago #489129 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Big hello
We use a really good local stock agent. Have been associated with him for years and he's never put us crook. If you are interested, PM me for his number. As the crow flies, we are not very far from Ramarama

Welcome to the LSB BTW

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 1 day ago #489160 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Big hello
Welcome
If you are going to have cattle, you need to register with NAIT it's free and can be done online, and you will need to have yards to handle them and good fences.
The lifestyle files have a lot of info it pays to do you homeworker before getting animals

More
7 years 11 months ago #489726 by Peterkit03
Howdy everyone. Heh heh heh, guess what? Now I got 12 weaners on my block, the great thing is half of that belongs to the seller, I made her a pack that she can let her 6 to graze on me land for free, in return she takes care of my lot the same as hers. So this way, I can learn from her first hand. I always knew there are good people in the countryside. Good honest people.

More
7 years 11 months ago #489727 by Peterkit03

kindajojo;493730 wrote: Welcome
If you are going to have cattle, you need to register with NAIT it's free and can be done online, and you will need to have yards to handle them and good fences.
The lifestyle files have a lot of info it pays to do you homeworker before getting animals

Yes, I m registered with NAIT. The land has 8 paddocks with 7 fence n electric top wire. But some of them needs attention soon. ATM spending like its going out of fashion. Ouch.. :(

Time to create page: 0.320 seconds