New and looking

More
8 years 1 month ago #37570 by sk8e8
New and looking was created by sk8e8
Hi all,

First post to the forum, thanks for having me.

I'm currently in the process of looking for our first lifestyle block, and just finding it hard to get info on what it might cost to setup (house etc).

Essentially I'm wondering what 'extra' or 'hidden' costs I should be aware of, and what would be an appropriate budget to put aside for these.

I don't have a specific site yet, so I can't give any details on that, but generally we're looking at 3-5 acres of empty land in South Auckland. I expect the power/phone to be to the boundary, and to require a water tank / septic system.

All very exciting, but wary about 'biting off more than I can chew'.

Thanks heaps!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #486702 by kai
Replied by kai on topic New and looking
do a search on the site, there was someone asking a similar question not that long ago.

More
8 years 1 month ago #486711 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic New and looking
Only been at it a year and a half ourselves. But ours was all set up when we bought it, essentially.

I always speak to local people about local contractors as we got caught out asking a glazier to come and replace the lower panel of glass in the back door and put in 'our' cat door. $500 later, we realised the company didn't have anyone very near us! Lesson learned.

Good luck in the future, I hope it all goes well for your search.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
8 years 1 month ago #486716 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic New and looking
Hi Sk8e8 - welcome to the site. Big learning curve ahead of you, but I can sure understand your excitement. You've found the right place to ask questions but the "how much will it cost" one is always a hard one to answer as a lot depends on what your ultimate goal is. For instance, once your house has been built, do you want animals? If so, what? Are you looking to grow veges/trees/flowers? If so, what's your soil like and will you need to spend money improving it? You wouldn't need to invest so much in fencing if you're just keeping chooks, but if you want animals, fencing, shelter and ease of movement become really important. Likewise access to water/storage/drainage requirements etc. These are all things to think about, and from there you can get a feel for what you need to be spending money on and in what order - and then it becomes easier to get quotes etc.

To help you work out what you want, one thread you might find interesting is this one: www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/lsb-forum/showthread.php?t=30862 If you haven't seen it before, it has numerous posts on what people like and dislike about their place, things to watch out for and things that people find essential.

One thing I can say from experience is Deanna's right on the button when it comes to access to contractors. If you don't have the skills or equipment you need initially, you'll probably need them at some point, and distance = money. But sometimes it's worth getting them in (e.g. fencers) to have the job done right first time.

The other thing new LSB'ers ask is how they can make money off their land. One of our longstanding members, Sue, put it perfectly when she said that the best way on a small block is to think about what you're saving (i.e. growing as much food as possible) rather than how much income you can generate.

All the very best in your new venture - looking forward to hearing more about it as you go through the process of finding or creating your own special place. It's an absolutely wonderful life (most of the time) but it can be a surprisingly expensive one.
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
8 years 1 month ago #486732 by sk8e8
Replied by sk8e8 on topic New and looking
Awesome guys. Thanks for the replies. Will let ya know how it all goes :)

Sent from my iPhone

More
8 years 4 weeks ago #487627 by rotors
Replied by rotors on topic New and looking
My hubby and I are also on the hunt for somewhere else to live, out of Auckland! And I really like Mich/Sue's point of thinking of simply being more self sufficient. I have seen i can do it with my 1/4 acre section, with veges and hens. Am so looking forward to being able to put more into it. BUT am very nervous (me being a born/bred townie) that we are biting off more than we can chew. To me each acre needs to also contribute somehow so that we dont HAVE to go and work - even if it just hubby tinkering in the shed making stuff for people!
As Mich says - what do you want from having a bit of dirt around you? What are your dreams and hopes?
Incidentally, 2 of my friends have successfully purchased plots of land south of the Bombays in the last 6 months, plus i know of 2 other people other than myself currently on the hunt, though most people we meat at open homes are locals. Has there always been this flow of aucklanders to the waikato or is this a new thing? Just wondering about the effect on prices . . .

MM and myself on 4.2 acre orchard: Apple, Pear, Plum, Peach, Orange, Lemon, Mandarin, Fig, Apricot and Feijoa.
Plus 1 Dog (Whippet Kelpie cross), 2 Cat, 5 Sheep, Lots of hens and ducks - they keep moving so makes counting hard!! LOL And just recently 3 canadian geese

More
8 years 4 weeks ago #487630 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic New and looking
One day I'm going to have a cottage on about 2/3 ha which I'm going to let people come and live in and garden, keep hens, a goat or a house-cow and they can try things out to see if they like living that way. In their spare time ([;)]), they can come and help out on the bigger bit of farm to see what they like about that sort of farming too.

More
8 years 4 weeks ago #487646 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic New and looking
In the Tasman district it is close to impossible to buy 1 hectare with services but no building. Here, it has been many years since permission has been given to subdivide that small. So before you get too serious, check what is the minimum size for a new-ish subdivision. You might have to look for something much bigger.

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds