New 2.5 acres ....

More
9 years 10 months ago #37485 by Rockydog1
New 2.5 acres .... was created by Rockydog1
Hi There,

Our new house is nearly built and we have 2.5 acres of nearly flat land. We have trees that provide shade.
We are thinking of having Alpacas to graze the land. Does anyone know what a good number would be? we are open to any animals, but I have heard that Alpacas are quite hardy. We are not interested in 'eating' any of our animals on our land so we thought Alpacas were a good option.
If anyone has any ideas of what other type of animals that we could have that would be great. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #485976 by muri
Replied by muri on topic New 2.5 acres ....
Am not sure where you are rockydog?
The main issue with Alpaca is perhaps Facial excema which is not prevalent through-out the country , thats why I was asking about your location

More
9 years 10 months ago #485981 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic New 2.5 acres ....
I suspect that alpacas get ryegrass staggers very easily, and do you have a shearer. I think National Alpaca Day is sometime soon, so post on Your Place to ask if anyone knows where they are in your area.

More
9 years 10 months ago #485990 by Rockydog1
Replied by Rockydog1 on topic New 2.5 acres ....
We are in Wainui - Auckland

More
9 years 10 months ago #485996 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic New 2.5 acres ....
lovely part of the country!.. so you are realy just looking for pets?.. if you go the alpaca route.. you will need at least 2 ( they have to have company )..and that number is just not economical to keep..yes they do suffer from staggers, from the little I know about them, they are not a 'set and forget' low maintenance animal.. not that any animal is!

soooo why not wanting to 'eat' what you graze?..at least you are turning your grass into food for your table..

More
9 years 10 months ago #486100 by helen55
Replied by helen55 on topic New 2.5 acres ....
I bought alpacas for my place because I don't eat meat and would never keep animals that were destined for the table.
Staggers can be a problem - I've got 2 alpacas that have shown signs of having staggers but the other 14 have not had any problems at all.

Living on a 7 acre property near Oamaru I currently have 5 wonderful Standardbred horses, 8 alpacas, 6 former battery hens, 1 labrador and 8 cats. I eat only plant based food and love trying new plant based recipes. Retired from the paid workforce in December 2019 and have never been busier!!

More
9 years 10 months ago #486226 by Negodil
Replied by Negodil on topic New 2.5 acres ....
Like any stock, how many alpacas you can have depends on how well your pasture grows, any irrigation you have and how much you're prepared to feed out in a dry summer. A reasonable number would be 3 - 4 an acre in most of the country, but you must have several paddocks to be able to rotate them around your paddocks, so the pasture has time to recover.

In general they are low maintenance compared to many animals but, as has been mentioned, in your area facial eczema can be an issue but that applies to many grazing animals. They can suffer from rye grass staggers, but from my experience it's about 5% that get it. Unfortunately, if one is susceptible then it will rarely grow out of it (I have a couple that appear to have done that). The best way to avoid staggers is not have endophyte rye grass.

There are several breeders around your area, go to the Alpaca Association web site, there is a good list of breeders ( www.alpaca.org.nz/investments/registered-breeders ) and you can then take a look at their own websites and talk over the details of what's involved with keeping them.

Whatever you decide,best of luck and welcome to the forum. :)

Fairhaven Alpacas, breeding champion Suri alpaca in Temuka

More
9 years 10 months ago #486227 by muri
Replied by muri on topic New 2.5 acres ....
our local alpaca lady has an open day this sunday, there are signs all the way up muriwai valley road and she is on Taipa road, muriwai.
She will tell you heaps about alpacas and you could find it very useful
Alpaca are far less tolerant of FE than other stock so they will be the first animals on the farm to get it ahead of sheep or cattle.
I think cattle are the easiest to manage if they have nice temperaments, and a small breed would be suitable on a smaller block

More
9 years 9 months ago #486308 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic New 2.5 acres ....
why go for expensive Alpacas?? Sheep are cheep!!!

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds