Toy Farm

More
8 years 1 month ago #37461 by The4horsemen11
Toy Farm was created by The4horsemen11
Hi my name is Chris, 30y/o M, I currently reside on a 6 acre lifestyle block just out of Hamilton with another 3 acres just down the road I look after also.
Currently rent the property I live on while in turn renting out my house in town.

Moving out to this property 2 years ago (with a further 4 or so years looking after the 3 acre block) has reinforced that lifestyle blocking indeed incorporates all of the joys of farming without the bits I don't enjoy (4.30am mornings, never having days off, struggling for holidays).

Currently I work for a milk powder manufacturing company which affords me plenty of time to play on the toy farm (4 on 4 off rotations).

On the block I currently have 9 chickens of various breeds, Hyline, Araucana, Gold laced Wyandotte, Black Orpington, some unknown white chicken.
2 Angus Steers, 2 Hereford x rising yearlings, and a couple of cats. Quality of fencing and the fact that the property isn't mine (and is destined to be turned into state highway 1) has prevented me from making the necessary improvements to have pigs and goats, the place is currently quite under stocked as I plan on rearing 40 calves so didn't want any pressure on the place over this coming winter/early spring.

I find myself hoping the road is about 3 years away at this point which should allow me the time to raise the necessary capital to buy my own 10+ acres within the Morrinsville, Cambridge, Hamilton triangle.

I have lurked quietly here on and off for the last 5 years, but thought it might be time to pipe up and share what I have learned over the years as a farm raised kid and now a life-styling adult, and of course taking the opportunity to continue to learn from the wealth of knowledge available here.

Cheers
Chris (of the Toy Farm)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #485757 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Toy Farm
Welcome to the site Chris. It might be prudent to ask the right questions of the right people re the state highway plan. Changing hope into certainty could help you in the long run with planning for your own block.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 1 month ago #485763 by The4horsemen11
Replied by The4horsemen11 on topic Toy Farm
Yes indeed, fortunately I have a neighbour who is very interested in the outcomes of said road as he owns 35 acres of land that borders the edge of the city so its valuable to say the least and he and his wife have done a great job of keeping me up to date on the relevant goings on, having said that if everything turns to custard I can revert to town if required until I do indeed buy my own block.

More
8 years 1 month ago #485794 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Toy Farm
Welcome aboard Chris and good luck. It sounds as though you have most of the angles covered.

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds