where do I start?

More
8 years 2 months ago #37420 by dilaw
where do I start? was created by dilaw
I have 11 hectares of land in the far north that is about 3/4 covered in regenerating native forest. There are some huge old trees in the gullies. The remainder is covered in gorse and some overgrown pasture. The block is on the east coast and north facing. I'd like to start making at least a small income off my property but feel a bit overwhelmed and don't know where to start. Any ideas welcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #485451 by Gracelands
Replied by Gracelands on topic where do I start?
Hi Dilaw, and welcome to the site.

I'll answer your question with a few of my own. Does your property have any internal fencing? What is the boundary fence like? What is the water supply, and is it reticulated in any way to the paddocks? Do you have any stock handling facilities like yards or a loading race? Are the grass areas flat, rolling, or vertical? Are they well-drained? Probably hard to tell currently with the drought just having broken.

1/4 of 11 hectares makes about 6.5 acres of usable paddock by my reckoning. In my opinion, fattening beef weaners is the easiest thing to do for a novice, because as long as they have plenty of feed and water, they should need very little other care. You should be able to raise 5 or 6 easily. However, You will absolutely need stock handling facilities in case they do need vet treatment or worming, and of course a loading race, or one you can borrow to get them there and away again.

In my book, sheep are a never-ending nightmare of footrot, facial excema, worms and flystrike. Not for the novice. Neither is breeding.

I don't think its realistic to expect an income off 6/5 acres, unless it was somewhere you could do intensive horticulture, which is not my area of expertise. Use it to grow your own food, sell a few beefies to the works every year, and put the proceeds back into the property. There'll always be some fencing or drain-digging, or shed maintenance needed, trust me.

Oh, and as for where to start? Start by attacking that gorse, unless you want the whole property to be regenerating native bush in a few years. The gorse will just take over unless it is aggressively tackled. Native plants will grow up through it a few years later, if that is what you want, but if it isn't you will have to become a gorse-Nazi.

"Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower."
Hans Christian Anderson

More
8 years 2 months ago #485453 by Aria
Replied by Aria on topic where do I start?
Chainsaw carving - I reckon a fortune could be made copying this pattern - as every visitor we've had to the house wants one!!!

If the trees are free - all you need is time (and talent)!

Attached files
File Attachment:

More
8 years 2 months ago #485487 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic where do I start?

Aria;489591 wrote: Chainsaw carving - I reckon a fortune could be made copying this pattern - as every visitor we've had to the house wants one!!!

If the trees are free - all you need is time (and talent)!

I love it! :D :D :D :D :D

Welcome Dilaw. All the best.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
8 years 2 months ago #485581 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic where do I start?

dilaw;489549 wrote: I have 11 hectares of land in the far north that is about 3/4 covered in regenerating native forest. There are some huge old trees in the gullies. The remainder is covered in gorse and some overgrown pasture. The block is on the east coast and north facing. I'd like to start making at least a small income off my property but feel a bit overwhelmed and don't know where to start. Any ideas welcome.

Other options if you have manuka in the regenerating native look into leasing to bee keepers.
You will need to get on top of the gorse. Spraying and chopping out unless you have enough $$ to get it removed professionally. Don't burn it...it will germinate like nothing on earth.
Goats and their various products are an option. They will do well browsing on the bush.
As above for the pasture raise a few beefies.

More
8 years 2 months ago #485608 by Olivia
Replied by Olivia on topic where do I start?
Welcome Dilaw!

My initial thought is in line with Kindajojo - goats to tackle the gorse provide you with spray-free weed control & milk/meat, depending on the breed. You would need to set up appropriate fencing first, to keep them on the property & eating the weeds rather than munching the choice blades of grass. Our goats seek out flowering gorse & thistles over pasture though, which is one reason I love the versatile wee creatures.

More
8 years 1 month ago #485925 by dilaw
Replied by dilaw on topic where do I start?
Thanks for all your suggestions. Think fencing will be my first step, then tackling the gorse. I do have manuka but not sure whether its the variety beekeepers are interested in. Would be happy to have hives in exchange for honey if it is. My aim is to use gorse/pasture and leave native forest to regenerate, and earn enough to cover or contribute to cost of rates and maintenence and produce food for family.
Any suggestions about rasing beef and chickens welcome ..breeds? Protecting chooks and eggs from predators? Dont know if there are weasles or stoats on my nlock but definitely have rats!

More
8 years 1 month ago #485926 by muri
Replied by muri on topic where do I start?
Manuka alone is not enough to sustain bees as it only flowers at certain times of the year. I would also keep well away from goats with regenerating bush, there will be no regeneration with them unless the area is completely fenced from their grazing.
There is no magic formula for making money off land and you might find it optomistic to be able to pay the rates from what you can earn on the land.
To earn that money, you have to pay for fencing for fertiliser, perhaps for hard feed over the winter and you have to buy the stock in as well
Unless your rates are very low, you may not be able to pay them off from the profits of the farm alone

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds