This is all new to me !

More
8 years 3 months ago #37274 by NewLSBer
Hi guys.

My wife and I plan to buy a LSB near Fairlie. Negotiations are in progress and we hope to soon have a plot of land of about 1.5 hectares to call our own. The plot is bare land. (Kid you not, not a single tree, scrub or man made object to be found ! Just a paddock which has been grazed the last number of years.) There is water and power to the gate.
We are new to this forum and have not had time to see what it is you offer. We are keen on finding as much information as possible before we start the lay-out of the land. Do you have guidelines (or clever ideas) for where the water tank should go; and the dwelling, and the outbuildings ? What about a chook run and an orchard ? Any ideas about resources we might make use of to do the lay-out will be much appreciated.
We do not intend to have any animals on the land before we have settled down and organised a dwelling, gardens and a few outbuildings. Even then we will at most consider a few sheep in a paddock somewhere on the block. (We do not know enough about animals to ever "farm" the block.) The intent is to plant trees, put down an access road to the dwelling and slowly transform the block into a habitable LSB where eventually we can settle down after retirement.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #483866 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic This is all new to me !
Hi NewLSBer - welcome to the forum and congratulations on your upcoming purchase. :D Look forward to hearing more about it as you go through the process.

Have you checked out the EGuides available on this site? They're free to download. And you can ask any questions you want here - someone (or many) will be able to offer you suggestions based on their experiences. There's a wealth of combined knowledge on LSB that you can tap into. Everyone's very helpful. :D

Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
8 years 3 months ago #483885 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic This is all new to me !
spend some time on the block before you consider where to put what, where does the sun rise and set, do you lose the sun due to hills, shelter belts, other houses…that will determine where to put the house, where are the best views ..or else the cost of getting power from the gate to the house (not cheap). Where does the wind funnel through in a southerly, nor wester, so where is the colder side of the house going to be..handy place for the garage.
If building seriously consider solar and orientating the house to maximize the roof angle, there are tables for this.
If building in Fairlie you may lose power for extended periods so think about alternative power sources i.e. a large wetback/woodburner, mix of gas and electric hob.

More
8 years 3 months ago #483889 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic This is all new to me !
Hi and Welcome 'NewLSBer' how exciting for you. I agree, I'd focus on the positioning of you house for sun and winds, taking into account any neighbours in the same vicinity, (google earth) is your friend. Research easy care animals for grazing. (Biased towards Wiltshire sheep here) and BEWARE, chickens are addictive. One year ago I started with 12 and now have 83. You have been warned. I wish you all the best in you exciting new future.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
8 years 3 months ago #484123 by manymules
Replied by manymules on topic This is all new to me !
I second the warning re chickens. One thing we've learnt going from city to country is power cuts. We don't get them often or for very long (thankfully) but what throws me every single time....is the water pump. It runs on power. No power, no water. Our neighbours are totally self sustaining and I've seen the simplest set up over there. They have a header tank that is sizeable (up on large stilts so it pressure feeds) and they have a windmill on their shed which generates power to pump the water back up into the header tank....which they tend to do weekly. Nifty set up. They also have solar power but if I house sit for them I have to keep resetting it because I overload it. Oops. :-S They also have gas fridge and stove etc. Personally I think I'd rather use solar but with mains power ready to kick in and take the load on the extras. But seriously, the water pump......given the chance I'd get a windmill, generator and header tank if I was building from scratch.

Oh......and fencing, fencing, fencing. Do it once, do it right. And while you're doing that I'd highly recommended at the very least getting posts in the ground for any smaller "paddocks". Down the line you never know.......you might end up like so many of us with a couple of this, and a couple of that. It's good to have somewhere to confine them....and to rotate them. If you don't do the animal thing.....orchard or vege garden area, already fenced off. ;-)

Learning a little bit every day. Loving life. [:D]

More
8 years 3 months ago #484150 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic This is all new to me !
Our house was built by a builder who lived in a caravan for a year before deciding where to place the house. It is in the absolutely best spot that was possible for best sun, least wind, reasonable view, and also able to put the water storage tanks up the hill so that the household has gravity supply water. We could probably also put solar panels on the roof of the house, but I suspect that the roof of the hayshed would be better. The major problem is that we cannot get cellphone coverage so can only text, nor quality internet.

More
8 years 3 months ago #484164 by manymules
Replied by manymules on topic This is all new to me !
Envious of your gravity fed water, longridge.

Learning a little bit every day. Loving life. [:D]

More
8 years 3 months ago #484221 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic This is all new to me !
That and moderately good drainage are 2 of the few good attributes of sloping to steep land.

More
8 years 2 months ago #485023 by Negodil
Replied by Negodil on topic This is all new to me !
Hi NewLSBer and welcome. So many people here that you will get advice on just about anything. I'd add to the previous tips that you should ensure your boundary fencing is very solid for when you do get animals. And, if you're not planning on stocking the land until next summer, it will grow very long and become course. You will need to regularly top it or could try to sell it as standing hay to one of your neighbours.

(Now the sales pitch!) When you do decide to get some stock, if you're looking for 'easy care animals' consider alpacas. They are very easy.

Fairhaven Alpacas, breeding champion Suri alpaca in Temuka

More
8 years 2 months ago #485242 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic This is all new to me !
welcome! I did the same as you back in '86, just fences and grass and a bore!

Make sure you know EXACTLY where your boundary lines are, and don't plant trees near power lines. Try and get a builder to come and tell you where the best place to put the house is. Remember running underground power is expensive so keep it short. Water is no problem. Septic tanks have drainage fields that need to slope away from the house, and have to be a certain distance from the house. Consider double storey as you will use less land and lose less heat.

I got a friendly farmer with a ripper to rip the soil where I wanted to plant shrubs etc. Tagasaste is the ideal first thing to plant, cheap to buy, will grow anywhere, palatable to stock etc. You can cut it out later as other specimen trees grow.

We did things out of income to avoid borrowing, but maybe that was not the quickest way to get the block up and running. A small tractor will be a godsend and you can sell it later when you swap it for a ride on!

Do not think that you can make money from your block and do not get involved with IRD or GST!!!You are better to grow as much of your own food as possible and reduce your household expenditure that way.

A good woodshed is essential, you can gauge the measure of a man by his woodshed! I would not go for an attached garage, it increases your house insurance and just becomes a storage area, rather build a big nice looking shed where you can park a few cars and other bits and pieces. Have your vege garden near the house with raised beds and windbreak all around, sheep netting fencing is required if you want to stop escaping animals from helping themselves. Oh yes, your neighbor's animals will come to visit for sure!

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds