Hello from Sth Islands West Coast

More
8 years 3 months ago #37235 by Charlie1
Gday, my names Charlie, my wife Diane and I have a 4.5 acre lsb in the Arahura Valley near Hokitika. It has been a long time dream to have our own little patch on the coast to raise some food and live in peace. We have been here about a year and are loving it. The elderly lady we purchased the property from was finding it a bit much to look after so things were starting to get a bit shabby, plenty to do !!
We have fruit trees, a fully fenced weka proof vegetable plot with raised beds, about 2 acres of paddocks and the rest in bush. We have just had 1.5 acres of mossy weedy water logged paddock flipped by digger so we can make it usable pasture. So far we have chooks, two ex-pet feral goats and an Arapawa ram lamb, we have two ewe lambs coming soon.
I have been reading the forums for a while and find them very helpful. Thank you.
Cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #483504 by igor
Welcome aboard Charlie and Diane. Best of luck with your half acre of good ground, your acre and a half swamp, and your two and a half acres of unusable bush. Does one need a resource consent to drain worthless swamp to turn it into usable pasture nowadays or did you just do it and hope to not get caught?

More
8 years 3 months ago #483507 by kindajojo
hi welcome Charlie, I was born and grew up in Greymouth ..you right in the heart of Luminaries country…have you tried to read the book lol

More
8 years 3 months ago #483545 by Charlie1
Thanks for the welcome.
Resource consent is not needed for hump and hollowing or flipping if under 5 hectares per title and not within a waterway buffer zone. Thankfully.

I havnt read the Luminaries book yet but with it being based on this area it could be a good way to pass a rainy day or two !

Cheers

More
8 years 3 months ago #483720 by RichardW
Welcome to the forum Charlie and Diane. :D

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

Inventor of Watson multishears www.watsonmultishears.co.nz

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds